Game-Labs Forum

Use of roads

DeeFm

Hi there!

Just finished this awesome game as the confederates.. Well not really finished, but as far as the early acces could get me..

First of all: AWESOME GAME!
I had so much fun playing this game, especially while trying to win every battle.. Never has a strategy game given me such a challenge.

I have one question though: 
I know that in civil war times (or any timeline for that matter) roads were crucial for the transportation of regiments and brigades. I noticed that in the game troops and especially artillery and supplies get slowed down by trees and swamps, but they move faster on roads and open fields, which is good. But will there be a feature that allows you to move troops via roads? Like a button that forces the selected troops to go to a location using the roads available. This feature is also included in the "Wargame" games.. Could be an idea!

Keep up the awesome work! Huge fan! Especially the Total War mods!

Select the individual unit you want to command, then draw a line along the path you want it to march. You can make it follow a road, hide in the trees, or demonstrate back and forth. 

Individually, it works great. En masse, not so much. But, I'm patient. I'm sure they'll fix it in the order it needs to be fixed. 

1 minute ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Select the individual unit you want to command, then draw a line along the path you want it to march. You can make it follow a road, hide in the trees, or demonstrate back and forth. 

Individually, it works great. En masse, not so much. But, I'm patient. I'm sure they'll fix it in the order it needs to be fixed. 

Didn't know about this part. Thanks for helping me automate telling my newbies to run laps around a house to build up their stamina, since stamina is only grown from walking. ;)

9 minutes ago, Wandering1 said:

Didn't know about this part. Thanks for helping me automate telling my newbies to run laps around a house to build up their stamina, since stamina is only grown from walking. ;)

I did not know that . . . . . I thought it was an element of melee. Which, I guess is, but I digress. 

I think I'm going to just take one brigade per battle and march it around doing laps . . . .  Just like I always have at least one brigade on the edges always firing but never closing. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky

Just now, Andre Bolkonsky said:

I did not know that . . . . . 

I think I'm going to just take one brigade per battle and march it around doing laps . . . .  Just like I always have at least one brigade on the edges always firing at something. 

If you really cared about min/maxing idle time, when the unit has been mauled to about 300 men, you can spend 5 minutes rounding up your mauled squads in a corner to tell them to run laps around a tree now. Instead of standing around idle or fleeing from the combat. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, CaptainKanundrum said:

Wait, so do units level up their stats based on what they do on the battlefield?

Yes. 

A unit that successfully melees gets better at melee

A unit that fires volley after volley gets better at shooting/reloading/aiming

A unit that marches, seemingly, gets Stamina. 

A unit that wins repeatedly gets ferocious morale, a unit that loses all the time has crap morale. 

Nicely layered, still details to learn. A mark of a great game. 

• Like 2

You can actually see what influences the stat gains by hovering over the particular stat for the tooltip in the Army camp.

Melee is improved by melee kills. 

Firearms is improved by firearms kills.

Efficiency is more or less overall kills.

Stamina is, more likely, overall movement. Alternatively it might be interpreted as spending condition, but would beg the question why Stamina doesn't scale as quickly as Melee for Cavalry squads. I normally hit 100 melee way before I hit 50 Stamina on my Cavalry squads.

Morale, strangely from the tooltip, seems to indicate time spent on the battlefield, and not really as a function of doing well or not-so-well. Routed squads still maintain the same morale rating in general as squads that are racking up thousands of kills with relatively few deaths. Which, seemingly, has the implication that standing behind the main line, partying inside the local farmhouse has the same morale development as being the lone 2000-2500 man squad on the salient in Fredericksburg, sponging 10000 rounds every other second.

You can actually see the bars for the individual stats increase as the battle goes on, by hitting the extra information window on a particular unit. A unit in constant combat, you're going to notice the upticks in firearms and melee a lot more quickly than on a sniper or artillery squad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wandering1 said:

battle goes on, by hitting the extra information window on a particular unit. A unit in constant combat, you're going to notice the upticks in firearms and melee a lot more quickly than on a sniper or artillery squad.

How many recon points did you need to achieve this intel? I never went beyond 4 points, and only went that far for screenshot purposes. Might be worth putting more points in for testing purposes.

1 hour ago, GeneralPITA said:

How many recon points did you need to achieve this intel? I never went beyond 4 points, and only went that far for screenshot purposes. Might be worth putting more points in for testing purposes.

You do not need any recon points to see the extra information on your own units. I'm talking about your own units, where you can see the bars slide over and the number increase from 20 to 21 for example.

1 hour ago, GeneralPITA said:

I think he's refering to the panel in the lower left you can max or min to get detail on a specific squad in your own army. 

To the best of my knowledge, Recon, at this time, maxes out at four. 

1 minute ago, Wandering1 said:

You do not need any recon points to see the extra information on your own units. I'm talking about your own units, where you can see the bars slide over and the number increase from 20 to 21 for example.

I see now, I thought you referred to detailed stats for enemy troops. I thought there might be additional intel for 6 or 8 points. 

4 minutes ago, GeneralPITA said:

I see now, I thought you referred to detailed stats for enemy troops. I thought there might be additional intel for 6 or 8 points. 

Nope, you can only see how broken enemy troops are by capturing them. Like finding out after capturing enemy skirmishers on Shiloh, despite getting the -10% enemy weapon quality, they still have JF Brown TS's. And 50 melee and 60 firearms on Hard mode. Not that the 50 melee helped them from getting mauled by cavalry.

Well then let's put a cap on recon tree in the career screen, so people don't dump 10 points into it, hmm?

Glad I didn't bother. In the career tab when I hover over Recon, it indicates additional information is unlocked if I invest 6 points.