Game-Labs Forum

Concerned with UG's Promise/Game Probs

Slaithium

4 hours ago, Speedkermit said:

Paradox have an excellent reputation for finishing what they begin - two or three years after release. Perhaps I shouldn't pay them for two or three years either?

Your call. Never a bad idea to wait for a game to get stable, go on sale on Steam, and buy it later. I had a situation very similar to your reaction to HOI III, my expectations are a bit more realistic these days. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of Paradox Games. They aren't perfect, but they're a hell of a lot better than most. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 7:01 PM, RoverGrover said:

Exactly my thoughts speedkermit.

Disagree completely Andre.  I'll admit, I did not play HOI3 at its release, and therefore have no reference for that part of your statement.  Nevertheless, HOI4 simply is not playable in any meaningful way.  It isn't "This aspect is bad" or "This aspect didn't work correctly" the entire thing is a joke.  Armies abandoning fronts en masse?  Ridiculous power levels for minors?  A mode that allegedly sticks closer to a historical format that does nothing of the sort.  Shifting units across entire fronts for no reason.  Impossibly bizzare war declarations.  AI that cannot even properly equip BASIC units because it has no idea how to produce the correctly equipment (In an INCREDIBLY simplified system).

And these issues took me like 40 seconds to list.  I could come up with at least 2 paragraphs more easily.

Also, I would add that I play many Paradox games.  Stellaris, while not what I was really looking for, is perfectly playable despite several issues.  Crusader Kings 2, improved immensely with patches but was still perfectly fine at release.  EUIV; again, issues but perfectly playable. 

I respect your opinion and your right to it, and I'm actually very pleased that somebody did not feel as ripped off as I did, but I lost a lot of faith in paradox with that game.  I definitely think I'll be taking my advice from earlier in this very thread with that particular dev and not buying anymore of their games on release until I can tell whether it is a finished product or not.  I really really wish that that game was not released like it was and hopefully in time it still might become something I consider playable.  Its wasted potential is staggering to me.

Respectfully,

Dave

Yes. You are not the only person who feels this way. My point is I love the game series and I'm happy to support them and want to encourage them to finish the game. 

BTW, friends of mine from Paradox recommended this game HIGHLY, and encouraging Nick to push development along is the EXACT same reason I paid to play this game Early Access. Civil War isn't close to being finished, but it's one hell of a game even at this point. No? 

Friends of mine and I played HOI II A LOT! I played HOI III the day it came out, started it up, played for 8 hours total, then didn't play it again for two years. LIke Kermit, I threw it down in disgust. Then, bored, I bought all the DLC on sale, learned to love it, and played the hell out of it for several years. 

Back to HOI IV, my expectations are have been tapered down a bit. I know how they do things now.

The game design is outstanding; a big leap forward over HOI III. Visually it's fantastic. The production queues are the best I've ever seen. It has TONS of potential. But, Hoss, it is incredibly complicated just to learn how to play, can you imagine how many variables there must be programming and balancing the AI on Production, Land, Sea and AIr? 

By all accounts, the AI had some issues with release. Too many in-house pvp games; not enough understand most people see HOI as a single player game.  The constant shuffling of units on a line, the odd occurances where you'd see Italian troops trying to invade Norway for some reason, or a stream of allied units landing at Naples to take Rome only to lose it or get their transports sunk one by one at sea by my airpower. 

I bought it on release, played it a whlie, and put it back on the shelf. Bought the first DLC when it came out, and started playing it again. It still feels unfinished, but it gets a little better with each subsequent patch. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky

19 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Your call. Never a bad idea to wait for a game to get stable, go on sale on Steam, and buy it later. I had a situation very similar to your reaction to HOI III, my expectations are a bit more realistic these days. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of Paradox Games. They aren't perfect, but they're a hell of a lot better than most. 

I liked HOI2 and HOI3, and bought both of them long after they had been released. However I didn't know of their reputation for releasing broken buggy games.

Anyway, lets get back to talking about how good Ultimate General is.

• Like 2