Game-Labs Forum

Officers lost when unit routes

Wright29

I think it's a bit excessive that officers disappear when the accompanying unit routes. I understand they want to punish players that keep their units in action too long, so I'm ok with a unit being destroyed when it completely routes. But why can't the officer go back to the barracks if he's not KIA? It's frustrating losing a top-notch brigadier general when a unit routes in a major battle. 

I dunno, seems like we HAVE a system for officers dying or getting wounded. Totally makes sense that when a unit shatters that you lose all its equipment and men. And a unit without an officer is more likely to totally break. But I agree with Wright - you shouldn't necessarily lose the officer every time in the chaos. They're still just one person. Perhaps treat them as wounded from the failure of their unit, or simply AWOL for a battle or two. But it doesn't really fit the theme that they functionally die every time. 

Edited by drewww
  • Like 1

Thinking of the officer as an actual HQ unit that breaks and can't be reassembled helps me with the fiction here, but that's still kinda at odds with the idea that an officer can be wounded or killed. That still seems like a singular person who, if absent, can damage a brigade's performance significantly.