Game-Labs Forum

My solutions to the battle screen exploit and the battle camping exploit.

1.       Get rid of the blue ‘Battle Screen’.

2.       To avoid the post battle “disconnect and wait” exploit. When the “BATTLE OVER” message is shown at the end of a battle start a 10 minute period of grace. After 10 mins:

a.       If you are on-line you are booted to open world.

b.      If you have disconnected your ship auto enters OW with the normal 2min exit count-down (where you are vulnerable ) to a normal exit.

3.       To avoid or reduce Battle Camping : A player exiting a battle enters Open World at the Battle Map co-ordinates (not the original open world battle entry co-ordinates as at the moment). This will also allow a “BATTLE OVER” player to sail in any permissible direction for up to 10 mins. This will make battle camping more difficult.

So, I hear you say, what about my prize loot! For that I suggest the following:

1.      Send the now defunct "Battle Screen" information as an “Admiralty report” to the player’s message box telling what’s been won/lost and the damage done etc. which can be viewed at leisure later on in OW.

2.      Send any battle prize ships to the nearest national port owned by the player which has an empty slot. If no slots are available then either put in fleet or if no space send the ship to the admiralty and award prize gold.

3.      All battle won prize materials up to the available remaining hold space of the capturing ship either a) transfer to current ship or send to nearest owned port or c) award prize gold or d) some combination of each.

AND !!!

1.      Extend the Capital teleport facility every 4 hours to ANY owned national port. 

2.    Allow available auto crew resupply in OW (to replace Battle Screen crew management).

3.    That's it

3.    Still 3. That really is the lot. For now.

Simples!

Buster Bloodvessel’s Parrot

Edited by Busterbloodvessel
bAd pUCtuat.i.on
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Busterbloodvessel said:

3.       To avoid or reduce Battle Camping : A player exiting a battle enters Open World at the Battle Map co-ordinates (not the original open world battle entry co-ordinates as at the moment). This will also allow a “BATTLE OVER” player to sail in any permissible direction for up to 10 mins. This will make battle camping more difficult.

I like this, the enemy has no way of finding where it is if not to spread out his forces. But it needs to kick you out of battle after couple minutes of his end to avoid players sailing in a parallel universe where wind is fixed (even if time is not compressed like in OW).

What i don't like is killing the battle screen, it has legit use if you for example have to urgently go afk after a long battle (like going to the toilet).

We just need a way to avoid it being used has an hiding spot (not a simple task).

Every thing that we come up to kill exploits and ends up damaging gameplay for others is not a worthy solution in my opinion.

Giving the battle player a way to escape safely can help against revenge fleets, disabling events and tags after leaving battle helps against battle logging; but for hiders....i don't see how.

Edited by Diodo

17 hours ago, Wesreidau said:

b.      If you have disconnected your ship auto enters OW with the normal 2min exit count-down (where you are vulnerable ) to a normal exit.

So my internet goes out and I lose a dura and an officer life for it.

Good fix there. :(

Don't forget that at the end of a battle you would have up to 10 mins (time could be adjusted longer or shorter) to leave a BATTLE OVER screen. You don't have to wait the full 10 mins to leave its up to you. On the disconnect 2 minute issue, this is already a game fact when you log off or disconnect in open world. All my suggestion is trying to prevent is people using the battle screen to hide behind and forcing them into open world.

Hope that helps clarify the proposal.

Buster

19 hours ago, Wraith said:

Battle screen log off will not go away. It's been debated since day one and universally panned for obvious reasons: real life. Please do some research.  As far as what happens when you log off and back in, there have been good proposed solutions (map indicators for ships in BS, etc.), long timers for battle join/no join from BS return, etc. also already proposed. Again, I'd say do a bit of searching before you bother. :)

Thanks for the reply.

Just looking at your issue of 'real life', by which I suspect you mean urgent needy game exits I believe the "Battle Screen"  exploit is a negative game exploit and is too tempting for a player to use which is why it is widely used (I note during my admittedly paltry research that Jaheil (LTTK) hates people sitting in the battle screen but admits to using it himself when in a tight spot).

Currently, if you are sailing in Open World and wish to exit then you have a mandatory 2 minutes of 'sails down' vulnerability.  If you are being chased in open World at the time and you need to leave because of a real life issue there is no special concession or emergency exit screen, you set your sails and hope to return to find you ship intact or log-off and take the consequences Under my battle exit proposal the same would apply but with the mitigating advantage that you would have 10 minutes sailing in a direction of your choice to avoid re-engagement by battle campers revenge fleet. As it stands the Battle Screen at the moment gives an almost 'get out of jail free' card so people wishing to PvP are denied game play by this exploit.   My contention is that far more people use the Battle Screen exit to avoid combat than to finish playing for 'legitimate reasons'.

With regard to a need to use the BATTLE SCREEN for real life issues or to fulfill an urgent bodily function, under my proposal you would have 10 mins to seek personal relief after the "Battle Over" is signalled. If it is generally felt that 10mins is not enough to 'pepper the thunderbox' then the 10mins could be increased but I feel 10mins should sort out most natural problems :). For longer real life I feel the same should apply as occurs in OW at the moment. One possible additional option when exiting a battle directly into Open World is to retain the sail settings. This would mean that even if you were away from your keyboard the Open World ship would keep sailing straight in the direction you set when leaving the battle (I am thinking of the sails down and reset that occurs during a Shipwreck contents collection).  

I would be interested to understand whether you believe the "BATTLE SCREEN" exploit to be valid?

Sorry if I have not researched this enough for you, real life issues :).

Buster

Puffs on pipe..

19 hours ago, Diodo said:

I like this, the enemy has no way of finding where it is if not to spread out his forces. But it needs to kick you out of battle after couple minutes of his end to avoid players sailing in a parallel universe where wind is fixed (even if time is not compressed like in OW).

What i don't like is killing the battle screen, it has legit use if you for example have to urgently go afk after a long battle (like going to the toilet).

We just need a way to avoid it being used has an hiding spot (not a simple task).

Every thing that we come up to kill exploits and ends up damaging gameplay for others is not a worthy solution in my opinion.

Giving the battle player a way to escape safely can help against revenge fleets, disabling events and tags after leaving battle helps against battle logging; but for hiders....i don't see how.

Thanks for the comments, I hope you don't mind but I have included a response to your concerns in my reply to Wraith above.

Buster.

19 hours ago, Wesreidau said:

b.      If you have disconnected your ship auto enters OW with the normal 2min exit count-down (where you are vulnerable ) to a normal exit.

So my internet goes out and I lose a dura and an officer life for it.

Good fix there. :(

Cheer up!

The 2 minute countdown already exists in open world but you can reconnect and continue, why should the battle exit be any different, why should we have a free pass to exploit? Why don't we just get rid of it or at least try something whilst we are pre-release.

Thanks for the response anyway.

Buster

...finishes another slice and a splice.

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Busterbloodvessel said:

My solutions to the battle screen exploit and the battle camping exploit.

1.       Get rid of the blue ‘Battle Screen’.

2.       To avoid the post battle “disconnect and wait” exploit. When the “BATTLE OVER” message is shown at the end of a battle start a 10 minute period of grace. After 10 mins:

a.       If you are on-line you are booted to open world.

b.      If you have disconnected your ship auto enters OW with the normal 2min exit count-down (where you are vulnerable ) to a normal exit.

So, I hear you say, what about my prize loot! For that I suggest the following:

1.      Send the now defunct "Battle Screen" information as an “Admiralty report” to the player’s message box telling what’s been won/lost and the damage done etc. which can be viewed at leisure later on in OW.

2.      Send any battle prize ships to the nearest national port owned by the player which has an empty slot. If no slots are available then either put in fleet or if no space send the ship to the admiralty and award prize gold.

3.      All battle won prize materials up to the available remaining hold space of the capturing ship either a) transfer to current ship or send to nearest owned port or c) award prize gold or d) some combination of each.

AND !!!

1.      Extend the Capital teleport facility every 4 hours to ANY owned national port. 

2.    Allow available auto crew resupply in OW (to replace Battle Screen crew management).

3.    That's it

3.    Still 3. That really is the lot. For now.

Simples!

Buster Bloodvessel’s Parrot

Agreed! I only think that a 10min grace is way too much! One only needs a few minutes to allocate prizes, repair ship, use medkits and leave. 

Just now, stormridersp said:

Agreed! I only think that a 10min grace is way too much! One only needs a few minutes to allocate prizes, repair ship, use medkits and leave. 

Nice one matey!

10 mins was an arbitrary value but sufficient to allow a toilet break after a possible 90mins battle and time to allow a bit of open world sailing to reasonably avoid a revenge fleet. I guess a number of values could be trialled. Just so long as I don't have to play sitting on a commode!

Buster

• Like 2

The idea is stupid and too hardcore to be adopted by others! The "battle screen exploit" is not a dangerous exploit, its just a feature to make the game softer. If you are a pro ganker you are able to catch the enemy before he leaves the battle. And if the admins really take away the battle screen then if the attackers loose the port battle they will definatly loose all the 25 ships (and not the regular 15-20 which are lost in the battle itself) cause they all will be thrown away in the open world near enemy port and soon destroyed by the winning side of defenders with no alternative of escape!

• Like 1

There are a few issues that really detract from my being able to enjoy the game, and they've been present more or less from the first day I clicked the "Sail' button. So my personal approach now is to take a chill pill and wait to see what GameLabs delivers next. If those fundamental gameplay issues still aren't dealt with, NA will probably be dropped from my Steam favorites list.

But debating all of this stuff any further seems fairly pointless. Great suggestions have been published, examined, picked apart, and debated into the ground. Best to just wait and see what's next and where to go from there instead of fanning any further flame wars.

Edited by Angus McGregor

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:52 AM, Wraith said:

Let's see, being patronizing and cheeky seems to be your shtick so here you go. You've spent all of 18 posts here providing "constructive" feedback about testing the game, and you feel qualified to not even bother to do a search on the topic? Let me do that for you. It's not about taking a shit, it's about the length of time anyone has to commit to the game and not being penalized for stepping away. Just because you and your precious revenge fleet can't gank the solo raider who capped your buddy after a long battle, and you expect your own play style to be catered to? Does that about sum it up? Don't be a selfish git.

For your own good I'd say move on. This has been argued to death and your position is untenable, never mind the fact that your proposed solutions have never been given the time of day by the devs in the past, nor will they because they clearly support the majority of players who feel like they should be able to close the game and step away as long as they want.  

Now am I arguing that this mechanic doesn't create problems? No.  I hate BS campers and the mechanisms it allows for ganking, port battle log in joining to prevent screening, and various other things you call an "exploit." What you'll find in the 700+ posts linked to above are some relatively thoughtful ways to improve this, that the devs have ignored for one reason or another, and starting an entirely new thread to rehash it again is inane and wasting our time. If you felt strongly enough about the issue then just add it to one of the many existing threads or even polls, thus resurrecting the discussion.  You never know, your stunning insight and articulation of the problem might find fertile ground where the other players who've already tread that path have not. :rolleyes:

ooh err. keep yer hat on. Didn't realise you were a tin god. Where do we leave tributes? :) 

Buster

6 hours ago, Angus McGregor said:

There are a few issues that really detract from my being able to enjoy the game, and they've been present more or less from the first day I clicked the "Sail' button. So my personal approach now is to take a chill pill and wait to see what GameLabs delivers next. If those fundamental gameplay issues still aren't dealt with, NA will probably be dropped from my Steam favorites list.

But debating all of this stuff any further seems fairly pointless. Great suggestions have been published, examined, picked apart, and debated into the ground. Best to just wait and see what's next and where to go from there instead of fanning any further flame wars.

Thanks Angus, your right we will certainly have to wait for GameLabs. I'll post just the same though as I believe it is a good idea.. still :).

Buster

7 hours ago, Palpatine said:

The idea is stupid and too hardcore to be adopted by others! The "battle screen exploit" is not a dangerous exploit, its just a feature to make the game softer. If you are a pro ganker you are able to catch the enemy before he leaves the battle. And if the admins really take away the battle screen then if the attackers loose the port battle they will definatly loose all the 25 ships (and not the regular 15-20 which are lost in the battle itself) cause they all will be thrown away in the open world near enemy port and soon destroyed by the winning side of defenders with no alternative of escape!

Thanks,  I guess if you like the BATTLE SCREEN for softer play then any suggestion to remove it will not appeal to you. I don't think its stupid and hardcore though, just an alternative approach.

Buster 

ffs just make the damn spawn point from BS random within the adjacent 4 quadrants of the battle instance.. That way no-one can camp a battlesite and no-one can use the BS screen as a fucking sci-fi cloaking device.. I don't play star trek so neither should any1 else..