Game-Labs Forum

Plan Your Strategy choices

Riekopo

I keep getting really strange map configurations that leave out very important areas of the battlefield. For example, I was fighting on the 2nd day and the Wheatfield and Peach Orchard were left out. I was left with a really small compressed map. Then on the 3rd day I got a map that left out Culp's Hill. I got a map that was small and only had Cemetary Ridge and Little Rount Top on it. I don't why this is happening. I am playing the battle like it happened in real life so I should be getting the real life battlefield.

Edit: 2 topics were merged. Please try to keep similar references to a single topic. Also please avoid to start the very same topic here and in Steam forum as well. 

If you look under custom games menu, it lists all the historical maps there.  If you do any reading up on the battle, even if just just the wikipedia page, you will know which actions lead to the historic scenarios.  Keep in mind though your performance will effect whether or not you get the option of even selecting it.

If you demolish the Union on the first day and take both Cemetary and Culps hill, there won't be a need to attack the Wheatfield as the Union wouldn't even be there.

If you look under custom games menu, it lists all the historical maps there.  If you do any reading up on the battle, even if just just the wikipedia page, you will know which actions lead to the historic scenarios.  Keep in mind though your performance will effect whether or not you get the option of even selecting it.

If you demolish the Union on the first day and take both Cemetary and Culps hill, there won't be a need to attack the Wheatfield as the Union wouldn't even be there.

The scenarios only unlock if you've actually played the scenario through the battle already which is really annoying. I tried to use my knowledge of the battle to make the historical choices, but the way the game presents the information is not clear.

To achieve the historical flow of battle playing as the Confederates:

1. In the first battle hold only Herr's Ridge.

2. In decision room select the first choice (Attack and take Gettysburg).

3. In this battle take all the points except the Cemetery Hill.

4. In decision room select the second choice (Launch an attack at Federal left).

5. At Devil's Den capture the  Peach Orchard and Round Top.

6. In decision room select the first choice (Attack Union center!).

Playing as Union is more tricky to succeed the historical scenario because the CS keep the initiative after the first battle. That means that in a couple of cases in decision room, the player is forced to make a choice that lets the AI to decide for the next battle:

1. In the first battle hold everything but Herr's Ridge.

2. In decision room select the first choice (Defend the ridges north of Gettysburg at all costs!).

3. In this battle hold only Cemetery Hill. Important: Before the very end of the battle save the game!

4. Here, there is only one available decision, to hold positions on Cemetery. The AI however has more choices (this is the meaning of meeting only one available choice in a.. decision room, the AI will decide for the next battle). The AI can choose here, either to attack the same day at Cemetery, or to wait and attack Union center the next day (2 variations). You have no other choice but to select the single available decision. If the AI has chooses another battle instead of Devil's Den, load the save and try again. Repeat until the AI selects Devil's Den.

5. At Devil's Den hold the Cemetery Ridge and little Round Top. Important: Before the very end of the battle save the game!

6. Select the second choice which again gives the AI the initiative. Repeat the same process as in step 4: use your save until the AI decides to attack at Cemetery for the Pickett's charge.