Game-Labs Forum

III Corps Artillery

Gen Grenadier

Enjoying the game so far but there is one thing that is making any attempt at a Day2 battle with the rebels very difficult. Sickles artillery battery! It is so strong and the AI is very skilled at placing it in great spots that I don't even try to assault beyond the Peach Orchard anymore it is just impossible to crack those guns, they tear massive holes in my lines and the rebel guns simply cannot knock them out and if I try my own batteries are retreating in mere minutes. Very discouraging to play against. Has anyone else encountered this issue or am I just playing this all wrong?

I doubt its my playing as can successfully remove the I and XI Corps guns on Day 1 with the rebels (with a fair amount of effort, the weaker the federal infantry the better their cannon it seems) but Sickles is a tough corps to crack with those guns

The Day 2 Union left flank map is among the most difficult maps as a CS player.  The AI has a big advantage over you in terms of micromanagement of artillery as it seems to be able to always know which spots can cover the ground it wants to cover and you as the player can't do the same thing without time consuming trial and error.  This is compounded by the fact the Wheatfield map has multitudes of LoS obstructions that are not obvious to the player.  I have played 7-8 CSA campaigns and that map still is difficult for me to get Epic or Major victories on.

The most success I have found is to not begin the attack until Hood's brigades are formed up on the south side and accompanying artillery is set up to fire on devils den and Little Round Top.  The 3rd corp divisions of Anderson and Pender that you get usually start the battle alone and that start of the battle need to be pulled back to good defensive locations in case III Corps moves forward.  You will have to accept the fact that you will eat some artillery casualties while Longstreet gets his act together.  Push all of Hood's men to Little round top using Big Round Top to shield you from Union artillery and have McLaws ready to move forward if the AI ties to attack Hood's left while moving.

If you move quickly Hood should be able to overwhelm Union defenses on Big Round Top before V Corps gets enough brigades into position.  From there you have a good position to fight defensively protecting Big Round Top while you grind down Little Round Top that is on lower elevation.  Some patience is required here.  Use McLaws's spare brigades to reinforce Hood on Big Round Top.  I recommend against pushing McLaws in a frontal attack on Devils Den and the Wheatfield unless the Union troops guarding it are already breaking.  A stand up fight will result in a very bloody mess for both sides.

Attacking from the south side and hitting them in reverse seems to be the best possible approach.  Good luck.  

You can destroy Sickles if you want.  Just push McLaws and Hood's brigades in a frontal assault.  You will end up winning especially against some very weak Union brigades.  Its just that you will exhaust your men and  you won't have enough combat power to push past II and V corps and you will have no actual shot at beating the scenario.

You can destroy Sickles if you want.  Just push McLaws and Hood's brigades in a frontal assault.  You will end up winning especially against some very weak Union brigades.  Its just that you will exhaust your men and  you won't have enough combat power to push past II and V corps and you will have no actual shot at beating the scenario.

That's pretty much what happened on July 2 1863.  ;)

I like your approach of circling round on Little Round Top from the south, using Big Round Top as a screen from the federal cannon. It certainly offers a greater chance of success than butting heads with 3 union corps in a frontal smash.