Game-Labs Forum

Random Map Generator

lemonsquid

Will there be any possibility of creating a random map generator? I really love this game and the way its designed, multiplayer was also a big boost to replayability. After playing the same scenarios over and over I still get tired of it. I think making a random map generator with certain parameters chosen by either the developers or players would keep me playing longer. Another option might be to make the game moddable and open up a steam workshop. 

• Like 1

Random generation of terrain that is credible and positions worth fighting for at this scale and level of detail is a challenge.  Adaptation of actual topographic maps probably makes much more sense, but the devs can describe how much effort that takes!   

The game uses a "real" accurate map so it is not possible to make an editor to generate random maps. To do that we have to make a new fictional map with adjustable number and position of components (hills, forests, plains, rivers, etc.), which will take the time and the resources we almost need to make the map for the next battle. However, this need is noted since it has been requested by many players and has been added to the future projects list. Another easier alternative we are thinking about is the players to be able to select the quality and the attributes of the battlefield, e.g plain, hilly, heavy forests, etc. so the game can generate such a battlefield picking a part of the existing map (and from those that will follow with the next games) that will have these attributes. 

• Like 1

Really when people say Random Map Generator. I do not think they are speaking of creating a entirely new map to fight on. Instead I think they just mean. On the current map of Gettysburg. Random Spots on the existing map, That battles were not actually fought over will generate VP's and Random Corps will fight against on another. (I could be wrong.)

So as an example. Put the VPs in the Town of Gettysburg itself. Two on either side of the town and one in the center. Then have a random Generator to chose what Army Corps face off against one another. Maybe the only option to have the person choose is how large they want the battle to be with how many Brigades, Divisions or Corps. Have like a option of 8k - 15k Troop Small Battles, 16k - 30k Medium Size and 31k - 60k Large Size battles.

Can you imagine a large size battle fought over the little small town of Gettysburg itself, that would be so epic seeing all those troops in such a small area.

That would save you guys the developers a headache of trying to creating new maps from scratch.

-my two cents

Maybe add in the future as the battle progresses reinforcements will appear on both sides. Giving fresh units to throw into the fray.