Game-Labs Forum

Fix for Back Capping (Videttes --> Herr's Ridge)

Doge

I have an idea for stopping the dreaded back cap of Herr's Ridge because of a random brigade, or because of Videttes especially.

Simply put, once you capture a major VP all those VP's behind it are locked from being captured.

Let's use Phase 1 as an example. If you, the Confederate player, captures either Oak Ridge or the Seminary (not Oak Hill, as it is a minor VP) Herr's Ridge will be locked from being captured. The Union must hold both Oak Ridge and the Seminary to be able to assault Herr's Ridge.

Here's another example.

Phase 2

This one's a little more complicated. We still have Oak Ridge and the Seminary, but this time it leads down to the right of the map to Cemetery Hill. Now, historically, Rodes came from the north-east, threatening the Cemetery, so the Union has to keep the XI Corps back to defend the Hill so the I Corps is cut off. If we used the above logic, the player wouldn't have to defend the Hill at all, just fight for one of the other VP's with all they have. So in this case, there would be no locked VPs.

I'm not sure of the required effort the system itself to be implemented, or the implications on the AI. I do know that this would stop odd continuity errors from taking place (eg. the Union and CS switching places on Phase 1), making the logic of the battle solid and keeping immersion more intact.

What would you guys say?

I don't agree with that idea.

Encirclements happen in combat quite a bit.

I mean, why, from a real life point of view, is Herr ridge suddenly unconquerable when the confederates capture either victory point?

Does that mean that if I capture Herr ridge, the confederates can't capture Oak and Seminary Ridge as well?

Can videttes actually capture VPs? That's never happened to me, and I have had videttes on Herr Ridge during one game. They didn't capture it.

Out-maneuvering and outflanking shouldn't be artificially suppressed. Keeping situational awareness, scouting and a reserve if possible available solves these tactical issues.

But they should consider fixing the skirmisher vidette issue. Supposedly those units are not represented accurately from a historical standpoint.

After the latest changes that will be included in the imminent patch, Videttes will ignore VPs. However, they will keep to be used by the aggressive AI characters for raiding unprotected artillery units (canister will be needed here), especially in the battles where the player has more gun power than the AI.