Game-Labs Forum

Scouting with invincible generals

Since generals cannot die, it seems that some players take advantage of this by using them as invincible scouts.

That being said, it seems that mostly confederate players do this, since their troops are invariably better led and have better morale.

So why were generals made unkillable and would you consider killable generals? I know that this shouldn't be a problem, but sending my skirmishers or line troops to chase generals away cost stamina and draws away valuable troops from the battle.

• Like 1

The generals need a re-think anyways. As for the killing, getting wounded similar to Sid Meier's Gettysburg, with a smaller radius of command and possibly reduced effect suffices. Better yet, simply don't let them scout, perioid.

The main thing, however, is to ensure they cannot be chased away by skirmishers / videttes / whatnot from the battle lines. They need to stick where they're assigned instead of constantly running willy-nilly especially when the enemy assaults. So if they have troops nearby, no running around randomly if skirmishers approach. I've seen crafty enemies manipulate this system and keep generals away from troublesome fronts by running their videttes and skirmishers at them. However, brigades should provide safe bunkers for the generals.

The generals cannot be killed, but this does not mean that they are invisible and can travel freely on the map. If hostile units are present they will automatically fall back to evade them. If the player pushes a general to move among the enemy's ranks, he risks to force him to fall in an endless evading movement and practically loose the control of that important unit. Also the observing off the battlefield was an important routine for the generals to find the best positions for their units.

And I'm saying this evade move should not happen when near a friendly brigade. It should only fall back along with the brigade(s). Additionally, when generals fall back when not in proximity of a friendly brigade, they retreat towards the nearest brigade and not to a random direction.

I use generals to scout all the time and would be sad to lose this functionality.

I'm not saying you couldn't scout with your general... you just couldn't do it without risking the death of your general... Or like somehow end up behind enemy lines and continue to scout their rear while being completely impervious to death.

I'm not saying you couldn't scout with your general... you just couldn't do it without risking the death of your general... Or like somehow end up behind enemy lines and continue to scout their rear while being completely impervious to death.

Ok.  I dont mind there being a penalty if the general gets too close (like routing or death) but generals are fast units that are perfect for scouting (as they were in SMG)