Game-Labs Forum

I got ganked

I've been "ganked" in this game twice. I was sailing solo near a free town and came across 3 pirates out hunting. I was demasted and boarded. I don't blame them for it. I wouldn't have passed up the fight either. The only bad part of the entire experience was that it put me back in the same free town after dying. My teleport was an hour away and there were no traders near to take command of and send my good ship to a friendly port. I decided to try to run for it, thinking they may take a short break, only to be caught again. Rinse and repeat, back to the same free town. Again, I don't blame them for taking the fight that was there. I was in a hostile area that I knew may be hunted by groups. It was entirely my own fault. My only frustration was due to the fact that npc spawns were magically non-existent and my teleport was a long time off. I wasn't overly attached to the ship, but I didn't want to ditch 3 dura to get out of the area when my shipyard was not very full. I waited around long enough to get a trader, teleporting my fighting ship back to friendly territory. The point I'm making isn't that ganking is bad. The situation was poor planning on my part. I would rather give someone the ability to teleport a ship than put restrictions on people entering battles.

I'm very against restrictions on groups entering battles. When you restrict the number of people that can enter a fight, you make player skill more demanding, ostracizing the newer people or less skilled people. When I can only pick 1 of my group to join me in a fight, I want the best player, "every" fight. The rest of my group will slowly fade away from the game.

My favorite quote from PotBS was: "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." Half the battle starts long before the enemy is sighted. 

• Like 3

Taking 8 players away from the war doesn't actually affect anything meaningful in most cases. It just means that I don't get to play the  game for an hour. And then I have to escape from the next three gank squads.

Then your team either isn't very good or they don't grasp the strategic components of the game.

Locking players up in combat so your mates outside can get other things accomplished is the entire point of a strategy MMO. Maybe you just don't play the game as a strategy war game which I think is Bach's entire point.

You simply don't play with players that treat every situation strategically. You just bum around looking for 1v1 pvp fights. That is ok but don't expect to get your 1v1 fights in the parts where the strategic components matter most. In the open sea's.

You can't have fair fights in a strategy war game. They simply don't exist in both worlds. If you want fair fights then the game can't be a strategy war game. Naval Action has to make a choice. It can be all things to all people. They give people like you the ability to join small battles but apparently that isn't enough? I have no idea why not but again that is Bach's point.