Game-Labs Forum

Naval Academies

So people can craft moduiles for objects such as copper plating, reinfiorced masts, etc. but you cannot craft modules for "humans" such as Marines, Powder Monkeys, Gunnery Handbooks, Swordfighting handbooks, etc.

And I understand perhaps the reasoning behind this (You can "build" obejcts but you cannot "build" people).

So what is a possible solution for this?

We can build production buildings for resources (gold, iron ore, Live Oak, etc).

What are people's thoughts on the idea of being able to build (as one of your 5 alloted Buildings) a "Naval Academy"?

At this Naval Academy you would be able to essentially 'craft' the human component modules that I decribed above. (or produce another "note" type thing that would be used to build a human-component module).

Addiitionally, if/when the "Officers" slots are introduced then perhaps these Naval Academies could somehow play into that as well.

(If this has already been suggested by someone then I apoligize in advance for the redundency of this post)

Edited by Chijohnaok
  • Like 3

I had an idea for the modules you mentioned. It works similarly to crafting. I know many players have asked for crew provisions to be included into the game. My idea is that using 'provisions' (resources) of various sorts and 'training hours' the same way you use resources and crafting hours you can create the 'human' modules. So you can put your crew at gunnery training which cost certain amounts of provision A and B and takes x amount of training hours but will give you common powder monkeys. On the other hand resource C and D plus y amount of training hours at musketry training will give basic marines. I also had the thought of having to keep up with the training to stop human mods degrading. So if you had fine powder monkeys but did no gunnery training for say 48 (real world) hours then they degrade to common type monkeys. I'm sure you get my drift. I know that in real life crews would be put to gunnery training, putting up sails and de powering etc. Captains would make the watches compete and time them. Just a thought, maybe it's too intricate, due to my complete mongness at anything technical I haven't any idea exactly what our brilliant devs are capable of doing.

Edited by Morey

I had an idea for the modules you mentioned. It works similarly to crafting. I know many players have asked for crew provisions to be included into the game. My idea is that using 'provisions' (resources) of various sorts and 'training hours' the same way you use resources and crafting hours you can create the 'human' modules. So you can put your crew at gunnery training which cost certain amounts of provision A and B and takes x amount of training hours but will give you common powder monkeys. On the other hand resource C and D plus y amount of training hours at musketry training will give basic marines. I also had the thought of having to keep up with the training to stop human mods degrading. So if you had fine powder monkeys but did no gunnery training for say 48 (real world) hours then they degrade to common type monkeys. I'm sure you get my drift. I know that in real life crews would be put to gunnery training, putting up sails and de powering etc. Captains would make the watches compete and time them. Just a thought, maybe it's too intricate, due to my complete mongness at anything technical I haven't any idea exactly what our brilliant devs are capable of doing.

Interesting idea about the "training" hours being used against your labor hours (or at least that is what I presume that you mean).

Right now a player has a set number of hours and they are used for drawing resources from buildings as well as for crafting things.

My concern with this would be that it would take away from that player's ability to harvest resources from buildings and/or cut into their ability to craft ships and/or components for shipbuilders (in their clan for example) if they now have to use some of those same hours for this "training" that you refer to.  It would make things for a non-clan/independent player even more difficult if they have to divide their limited hours between harvesting production, ship building and now also crew training.  They would probably be driven to simply being one thing in the game (a professional sailor, a resources harvester, or a shipbuilder).  They would never have enough hours with which to be a "generalist" and do a little bit of everything. 

I am personally already running up against situations where I do not have enough hours left to pull resources out of buildings if I am also crafting things for the clan's shipbuilders (things like notes, gun carriages, ballast, etc).

Also if the player were to take a hiatus for a few days (real life intrudes) then they would come  back to find their mastercraft marines are now gray.  That would simply suck.

Edited by Chijohnaok

I was thinking of the 'training hours' being a separate entity to crafting hours, obvious you wouldn't have as much, a quarter the amount would suffice (in my head). For the degrading thing the length of time I specified was just an example. But skill fade is a real human habit and it would happen. With out practise the crew would become slovenly.

Interesting idea about the "training" hours being used against your labor hours (or at least that is what I presume that you mean).

Right now a player has a set number of hours and they are used for drawing resources from buildings as well as for crafting things.

My concern with this would be that it would take away from that player's ability to harvest resources from buildings and/or cut into their ability to craft ships and/or components for shipbuilders (in their clan for example) if they now have to use some of those same hours for this "training" that you refer to.  It would make things for a non-clan/independent player even more difficult if they have to divide their limited hours between harvesting production, ship building and now also crew training.  They would probably be driven to simply being one thing in the game (a professional sailor, a resources harvester, or a shipbuilder).  They would never have enough hours with which to be a "generalist" and do a little bit of everything. 

That's the very idea behind LH though. So that solo player can be a generalist (no reason why you couldn't be), but it would be much less efficient and productive than specializing in one branch only.

Using separate hours for crew not only devalues these upgrades (everyone can do them just fine, no need to work in a group) but also makes no sense from ruleset standpoint. Modules use LH, why wouldn't "human modules"? Using diverse mechanics for the same systems without a very good reason is a VERY, VERY big no-no in a game dev.