Game-Labs Forum

Breastworks, Defenses & Formations

Jethro

Let me start by saying this is an AWESOME game.  I've played a few battles and really enjoyed each and every one - even when I got my ass handed to me.  Enjoying a game that kicks your ass is a rare delight, by any measure.

Also, I hope I'm putting this in the right spot on the forums.

----------------------------------------------

1.  Hopefuilly, this is planned as a feature for the future.  But, I'm amazed there is no way to fortify troops and have them dig in on the high ground.  Soldiers use shovels FAR more than rifles - in any war.  Think about it.  If there were thousands of pissed of rebs/yanks breathing down your neck, what would be the first thing you'd do when your unit stoppped and took up a new position?  If you didn't say "find some way to keep all thise guys from killing me and all my buddies", then Darwin would have you pretty quick. 

Generally, whenver a unit takes up a new position, the first thing that happens is scouts are sent out to survey the surrounding territory and possibly probe for enemy weaknesses, thay also set up pickets (guards) and everyone who isn't doing those things has a shovel in their hand or are gathering logs and stuff for breastworks.  It's extremely important and it's not represented at all in the game.

Ideally, the amount of fortification would increase over time and be part of the real estate, not an attribute of the unit.  If you dig holes and leave, the enemy can occupy them and thank you most kindly for all your hard work.  The ground doesn't smooth back over when you matrch away.  So, any prepared positions would be usable by any infantry unit on both sides.

2.  I'd like to be able to shift units in formation without them changing faicing or formation.  As it is, I can't dress my lines because my guys will wheel around and give the enemy a free flank shot on them if I even move them a few meters to one side or the other.

3.  I'd like to decide between column or line formations and there should be two line widths - single and double lines, basically.

4.  I should be able to dismount/remount cavalry and decide amongst various formations, lilke wedge, column or line.

5.  What?  No sharpshooters?  Both sides had them and both sides feared them.  They should be represented in the game.

6.  Those are the big weaknesses I see, from a purely game-centric perspective.  Historically, though, we can argue all day about who had better equipment, training and supplies.  So, maybe the game could have diffrerent historical "what if" modes to reflect the different possibilities, eventually.  Like what if Lee was up to par for the battle? What if someone other than Meade was commanding the Union?  What if the European countries had recognized the Confederacy?  For myself, I'd want the most historically accurate version.  But, this could make people who have their own theories of history happy and, at the end of the day, sell more games.

It just occured to me...  maybe a simple slider with default levels which allow troop attributes to be adjusted.  For example, if the Union morale, overall, is a 3 out of 10, the player can increase the morale using the slider and bump up the Union's overall morale - or command strength or anything else.

----------------------------------------------

Well, that's all for now.  Thanks for such a great game and keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Not sure how my post about the overtime thing wound up here...  shouldn't post before coffee... ;)

In regards to entrenchments, it doesn't take that long to improvise some sort of defensive position.  I knew about Culp's Hill, which made me bring it up.  The way the story is told, those defenses probably saved the day for the Union. 

I wonder if entrenchments were used regularly, but only really mattered in a couple of places or it was truly that rare?  I guess the battle was so fluid, and the men so worn out, it maybe wasn't practical.  But, again it seems like not wanting to get hit would supply plenty of motivation, even resourcefulness.  In any case, the old Avalon Hill game I played when I was a kid (back in the dark ages we used maps, counters and dice) I seem to recall that immobile units who weren't under fire could entrench.  It seems logical, doesn't it?  Also, I think it would add a lot to game play.  Patience should be rewarded with better defense.

Union troops dug in on the whole line between Culp's Hill and Little Round Top. It would definately be cool if there were some sort of entrenchments, and it would give the union better defense 'cause they can be driven out of their lines a bit too fast if you do it with enough force, a goal the Rebs in the real battle did not achieve due to the strong entrenchments. Also in the old SMG Units entrenched automatically when not moved. Oh yeah, and fences would be awesome, providing more cover and giving a few more tactical advantages/options. Nice idea.

Hah!  Just got to the second stage in earnest and what do I see?  Ewell's sharpshooers!  Nice...  ;)

I'm not real fond of the way the game moves stuff around between stages.  It wants my arty to die on the front line.  I have other plans for it, though.

• 1 month later...