Game-Labs Forum

PVP2 Aves Pirate Defense Report - Pirates vs. Britain

TwoBeardz

I'm not sure i would be crowing over managing to  win a port defense when you had more than 1000 BP advantage in ships, plus the 5 towers.

It's just a fact of this game that the port defender has a HUGE advantage, even without the significant edge in ships that you had.

I'm sure you know this, as the Pirates regularly lose against defended ports.

Anyway, great fights and fun were had by all, we look forward to many more to come... if you ever venture out of your Antilles hideout ;)

Let's look back at the strategy of the battle - regardless of any towers or BR the Brits allowed their fleet to initially be split down the middle killing 4-5 and injuring more. BR seems irrelevant in this case. SOB clearly did not realize the pirates could field this BR level with a three pronged attack/distraction. Easy port to take...not so much. When Frederiksted is captured seems pretty obvious what the intentions are. The end of the battle the Brits abandoned their port capture to regroup and kite our fleet. We made the decision to follow and catch so no one could leave. Granted we could have won the battle with no casualties but less kills. When attackers take that strategy you know it is already lost - time doesn't allow you to get back to the towers over an engagement like that. Anytime someone wins they will talk it up - Brits lost this day and it was quite apparent they thought they would steamroll it with little resistance. We will be venturing out in time rest assured. Wouldn't want to let Britain have all that fun with no resistance.

I'm not sure i would be crowing over managing to win a port defense when you had more than 1000 BP advantage in ships, plus the 5 towers.

It's just a fact of this game that the port defender has a HUGE advantage, even without the significant edge in ships that you had.

Anyway, great fights and fun were had by all, we look forward to many more to come... if you ever venture out of your Antilles hideout ;)

I'm not sure i would be crowing over managing to win a port defense when you had more than 1000 BP advantage in ships, plus the 5 towers.

Looking at what data was actually available or known at the time I would probably agree with this assessment.

The port battle start shows a clear Pirate BR advantage not to mention the five towers. Meaning the British would have had to destroy 2.3 ships for each they lost plus the x5 towers. With those odds stacked they would have had to play overly agressive in the PB. Logically it was likely a loss as soon as it started. Meaning you can't really count the PB losses as meaning that much as the BR effect would have forced the Brits into more suicidal all or nothing tactic. Though still a solid defense it shows more for the pirates ability to muster a high BR than to actually kill ships in an equal fight. So basically you can't count the Aves PB 25 ship losses as if they had been equal footing ship losses.

The sea battle is more a fair telling. There we see 8 losses to 8 losses. That's pretty equal.

As to adding the French ships to the loss count that doesn't really wash either as that attack was a suicidal diversion by plan. Not joking and not covering up a bad loss with spin. I was against the diversion from the beginning as we knew the pirates to be divided into North and South groups and other than possibly diverting screeners it wouldn't effect the Aves PB. But that was the call and that whole group was expended as soon as it set sea by plan. So again, you can count the 25 under BR French suicide attack as a 25 ship loss as if equal footing.

So in the end it appears the Pirates and SOB were fairly evenly matched. Defensive and terrain bonuses going to the pirates they held the day and should be commended as such. But no landslide win here.

Edited by Bach