Game-Labs Forum

Pleasing everybody all the time - almost

Yes, I know that I've also talked about this elsewhere but I think I've found a solution to many conflicts - and I sometimes wonder if some good ideas get overlooked when they are part of a long thread

OK so some people want the freedom to name their ships and others don't want to risk seeing ships called "HMS **** you!"

there is a very easy solution that can please everyone - an option in the settings of the game that allows a player to choose not to see the customised names of other players

AND this idea can be applied to other choices - like to have or not to have female avatars 

Everyone gets to choose there own level of historical accuracy and no need to have a debate about any of it!!!!!!

Am I not brilliant?  ;) 

ok, perhaps not but surely this is the answer?

In that case you'd still be stuck with wanting to see historical ship names other then the standard ones (yet possibly seeing HMS **** you)... , or sailing (and seeing) only the standard ones...

I'd still vote for a historical and accurate course in this; this solution doesn't really cut the edge, IMO.. ;)

I think the OP has a valid point this could work for some aspects of the game.

I too feel that there are too many 'fluff' arguments on the forum that can get extremely heated yet most could be solved simply by having some reasonable personal choice setup within the game.

Different players are pushing for different layers of realism, whilst graphics of the ship, towns, harbour crew can have a std realism across all players. Some aspects of them could be optional.

We use it all the time in absolutely 100% of modern games for different GFX capability of systems and player choice of identifiable naming conventions which suits the individual. Every player will admit to or be lying that they chose a gfx setting in game 'X' because it gave them an edge. Using colour blind mode even though not colour blind, turning off extra vegetation even though their PC was very capable of having everything on max.....

To play this game I don't wish to turn all the GUI/UI off, be sat in my bath, floating on a lilo dressed in full naval uniform - Yet I wouldn't have a problem someone doing just that if that is how they want to play the game. It is just a game (A great one we hope) this is not real life and as individuals we will all have our own viewpoints and wants.

I feel the issue usually lies with those who want historical accuracy above all and beyond with little thought to others point of view. I don't want to stop those players arguing and getting their wishes granted, but lets have a little give and take :)

We certainly don't want to put off new players becoming solid supporters of the game because they find it initially difficult to get their heads around, because some basic simple player options are not available.

I feel the issue usually lies with those who want historical accuracy above all and beyond with little thought to others point of view. I don't want to stop those players arguing and getting their wishes granted, but lets have a little give and take :)

I like give and take. ;) Point noted. :)

In that case you'd still be stuck with wanting to see historical ship names other then the standard ones (yet possibly seeing HMS **** you)... , or sailing (and seeing) only the standard ones...

I'd still vote for a historical and accurate course in this; this solution doesn't really cut the edge, IMO.. ;)

Yep, not a perfect solution but better than no choice at all

Yep, not a perfect solution but better than no choice at all

What if the dev's would include historical naming as an gameplay option, whereby 'crappy' names are covered with an 'auto-generated' historical name, attaching it permanently to that player's ship? Not sure about the permanent part, though. You keep all the choices, yet to a much greater extent.

Could be another middle way. Keeping options open, eh. ^^

Name restrictions on ships are close to nick name restrictions. Imagine if any1 sailin a Vict would get temp renamed to Nelson, or if u'd start game with random gen oldshool name like William McPie w/ no option changing it.

I Wanna make my own name ppl will recognize, ship customizability plays a big part in building and image and gibs players something more personal to associate with. Renaming should be basic stuff rly, just like switching paint schemes + decorations (to a historically reasonable lvl ofc).

**TlDr i want a sandbox MMO w/ realistic ship combat, not a Nelson simulator**

If u dont want f2p p2w there has to be customization for real moneh anyway.. /thread