Game-Labs Forum

"Official" Brandenburg Navy from 1684-1701

Theuerdank

Salut and Ahoi together!

In 18ct. there were many wars in which Prussia was involved, but the 'Navy' of that country is nearly unknown..... why? First info, i will give at the end of the threadstart some links for this topic, the best "wiki" link is sadly only in german, but there is exactly explained the Kur-Brandenburg Navy and its follower (or not-follower) Prussia. Not all folks are surely knowing that Prussia exist as 'Nation' first since 1701, there the Kurfürst of Brandenburg became King 'in' Prussia (important, first not King 'of' Prussia). In 1670's Brandenburg wanted also some colonies, especially in Africa, but nearly without ships it was not possible. Mainly there were first hired now some ships with captains from Netherlands, like Benjamin Raule who was factly a privateer (officially also in Netherlands a shipowner, merchant and enterpriser but for others clear only a pirate).

But 1684 was the historical date for the foundation of the 'Kurbrandenburgische Marine', some ships were built for that, others bought or hired. With that date there was ordered a painting presenting that 'fleet' of 34 ships (painted by Lieve Verschuier):

Kurbrandenburgi_Navy.jpg

So the Navy had have 1684 34 'warships'. But after the death 1688 of 'Kurfürst Friedrich Wilhelm" his successor the later King 'Friedrich I.' lost interest to the most expensive fleet and as Brandenburg became 1701 Prussia only 11 of those ships were left for action. Interest for the 'colonies' were also lost and Friedrichs follower Friedrich Wilhelm I. disbanded the fleet, also his interests were absolutely in 'owning' the 'best' infantry in europe, ships were unneccessary for him. The colonies were mostly sold to the Netherlands.

Its not unimportant to know that it was clear also for the Prussian princes they could never keep up with other 'navy nations'. Especially Netherlands had have in 17.ct. about 35000 (what a number) smaller and larger official sea-ships and every year there were built more then 2000 new trading and warships (sure also ordered by other nations). More than 70000 seaman were hired every year. Anyway those numbers showing that Brandenburg with its '34' ships was more a nice prestige object, also the ships made their service.

But now, how Prussia or Brandenburg could be a part of the game? Some ships are well known.... also if i remember right in PotBS ;), for end 17ct. really nice ships.

Nevertheless, i wanted to show only some info about, not to demand that fleet must be ingame, especially there was a harsh end at the beginning of 18ct.

So, now the links, the huger documentary in german, a list of 'all' brandenburgian ships included; the smaller also in english, but there you get not really good info:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurbrandenburgische_Marine        

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg_Navy

and for Prussia:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preu%C3%9Fische_Marine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_Navy

I hope its not to uninteresting,

best regards!

• Like 3

Ahoi again,

the BAC (bandenburgian-african-company) was factly the trading but also caper-war organisation of Brandenburg. They have those 34 ships, also other warships and the normal trading ships were factly 'rent' if needed, its something common for Brandenburg in the 17.ct. So warships were used also as well-fortified trading ships, but many ships were not owned, more leased or rent.

I read a fine scientific work about the brandenburg-prussian navy of that period and its clear Brandenburg could never afford also a huge trading fleet. First, in baltic sea Sweden, Denmark were to powerfull rivals. Brandenburg used their weaponed ships as traders, as warships and as caper-ships. Smaller ships, nearly boats were clearly used in the baltic sea. So Brandenburg was never like Netherlands, which was in 17ct perhaps 'the' purest sea-power in that period. But you know in 18ct. the sun of that power also sunk very fast.

One example: during the spanish war of succession, the now called BAAC with homeoffice in Emden (the second 'A' stands now for American^^) was in the years 1704/05/06 not more able to send own ships for service and trading, reasoned by lack of funds. So they established a new commercial model, only to assign concessions for trading with the colonies. But first they must again rent two ships for starting that action and that costs again something.^^ Also clear that means no own fleet and also a reason why the now Prussians disband soon (1711, Friedrich Wilhelm I. nine days after succeeding his father) officially the whole fleet, it was not more rentable comparing to the existing sea-powers.

And absolutely a not unimportant aspect: Prussia avoid most costly conflicts in that war-period with the main sea-powers, allied or hostile. Contradicting to Netherlands, Denmark or Sweden, all wanted to be sea-powers and lost nearly all influence during 18ct.

Exact numbers are very few, but between 1692-1711 there were demonstrable 63 commercial journeys of that fleet, 27 ships were lost by caper, seizure or corruption. In those 63 journeys 200 ships left the harbours, which means not 200 different ships, often the same. Its comparing to other nations really a small number.

i can give a link for that publication, its a *pdf file and... in german:

Maywald, Torsten:

Preussische Seefahrt : 1605 - 1772
Intentionen und Hintergründe. - Masterarbeit, Zürich, 2011
- 545 KB

• Like 3