Game-Labs Forum

Maximum damage battery size?

Draluigi

I'm pretty sure infantry brigade always have a lower efficiency per man in the brigade as you increase brigade size. But you still increase their firepower with longer volleys as you increase their size. The issue with artillery battery is that the damage output actually DECREASES past a certain number of guns (which used to be 12 beyond any doubt), and it is very annoying because you have to guess the right number of guns, and you can actually decrease the lethality of your arty by adding more guns which makes no sense whatsoever. It is a major issue imo for army planning and very frustrating to find out all these guns you added actually lowered your kills, not to mention the fact that there is no way to decrease the size of a battery to reassign these guns. Decreasing return seems somewhat ok to me since a battery has support elements besides only guns, and adding guns can stretch these support elements to the point where adding new guns might not add lethality to the unit in a proportional manner. But having 24 cannons kill less people than 12 just makes no sense, no sense whatsoever.

57 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

Infantry, Skirmishers, and Cavalry don't and never have had any such letbacks.  Just Artillery.

Advanced Battle Aspects > Unit Skills > Firearms

...Total firepower cannot be achieved for the full size of units because it's impossible to get all the men firing simultaneously at the front ranks.  Therefore, having medium sized, more efficient units often results to better firing performance.

Then this from  > Melee

...Melee power loses its effectiveness according to size, meaning that as a unit becomes bigger, it cannot exploit fully its total melee capabilities, compared to a smaller, more effective unit.

According to the in-game guide brigade size does have an effect on melee and shooting performance.

• Like 1

Right ok my bad. Anyway I wasn't speaking about efficiency. Two 500 man brigade will beat a 1000 man brigade, even without flanking bonuses, and that's ok that's logical. Having the same for arty is also acceptable, though imo a bit harder to argue. What is beyond my understanding is why 24 cannons kill less than 12, not the fact that 12 cannons should have more kills PER GUN than 24.

@Krumpf

If you're not familiar with artillery batteries, their performance actually, literally goes down after 12 guns.  Inverse performance with larger sizes proven fact from my rather strenuous testing.

There is also a fine line between "efficiency" and "more power".  A medium sized unit may have more melee and firearms ability per man, but a larger unit is still going to have more overall firepower.  It may have diminishing returns, but not literally inverse performance as artillery batteries have.  Bigger brigades will always be more powerful than smaller ones, stats kept the same.  You can tell that to the 2950 strong brigades you face.

54 minutes ago, Krumpf said:

Advanced Battle Aspects > Unit Skills > Firearms

Then this from  > Melee

I invite you to consider the fact the manual was written way back in the mists of time, and I'm uncertain it has ever been updated. Or even read by anyone other than yourself. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

I invite you to consider the fact the manual was written way back in the mists of time, and I'm uncertain it has ever been updated. Or even read by anyone other than yourself. 

Lolz