Game-Labs Forum

"Skirmish Mode" Button PLEASE!

Paseo

3 hours ago, Fred Sanford said:

You know if you press 'hold' twice (so that the unit shield is underlined), the skirmisher will hold position.

Units on hold seem to have difficulty auto-targeting. Sometimes an enemy unit will wander within just a few rods but my friendly unit will not fire. I agree with OP that a skirmisher button would be nice.

• Like 1

I think what you are seeing with targeting is that when the player designates a target for a unit to fire on, if the target moves out of range the firing unit has trouble dropping that target and picking a new target.  Seems to me the more sensible solution then is to fix the targeting algorithm, since that is something that is broadly applicable to all units.

• Like 2

yes, it's the targeting thing.  The targeting algorithm is unit to unit. I think it should be changed to be like Scourge of War, where you fire at whatever is in front of you, whether it's 1 unit or a bunch of units.  Anything entering your firing arc, you shoot upon

19 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

You of course realize that those players who don't use skirmishers, this button would be completely useless ... right? :)

I assume it would be part of the menu when you click on a skirmisher unit? You don't see the limber/unlimber status for artillery at all times.

• Like 1

I agree this would be useful.  I like how Total War has done the skirmish mode with the unit falling back if the enemy gets to close and reengage once far enough away.  As of now I can use the hold command but if I take my eyes of that unit for a moment it could end up in a melee with a full brigade and the skirmishers are dead.  There is a lot going on in a battle and not having to micro every single skirmisher/cavalry unit for the sole purpose keeping distance would definitely improve my ability to command. 

Edited by General Kazden