Game-Labs Forum

Beginners Feedback

Ahoy!

I joined the testing just over a week ago, while the server is down I thought I would give you my experience so far.

I became a pirate, politics between factions does not interest me so pirates was a good option to have.  I enjoyed the fact the pirates have a specific area.  Whilst there are some clans I found the pirate group itself to be a clan and everybody has been helpful and a joy to play alongside.  Now this is how it went for me.

Day 1.  A lot of keyboard buttons to get used to, I am not a hardcore gamer.  I have real life sailing experience so I could understand the various points of sailing, wind directions, tacking, reaching and jibing.  I was prepared to take the hits on gunnery while I mastered the keyboard.  To gain extra help I viewed the beginners video tutorials on this forum. That helped me immensely and I would like to see more video tutorials, personally I think they are way better than any written guide, you can keep rewinding videos until you get the points being made.  It stays in memory better for me personally.

So the only thing I think I would of liked on day one, was an area of combat water that had no enemies initially so that I could experiment with everything. On reflection I could of asked a player to attack me and then leave me to play.

By the end of my first days play I was tacking upwind and chaining enemy sails. Chaining is the easy option to experiment with initially because you can be more inaccurate with aiming.

By the end of my first week I was mastering the keys for tacking and jibing in manual on multi mast vessels.  This is needed and adds more to the game skill wise, again I was back to trying to sail well whilst ignoring the incoming cannon balls.  Once i started to get that sorted I found i could concentrate on taking single shots instead of broadsides, practising aiming with no range lock on the cursor.  I found I got better and better, but it took a lot of hours to get good.  In the end I practised against AI firing one shot at a time until I could sink one.  Then I moved to the broadsides and trying to get as many shots on the mark.

Its taken me a lot of hours, I'm not young so that also has an affect on learning.  I think its a great game and well worth the effort of learning to play well, very enjoyable.  I think that if you were to simplify anything you would be losing something.  I can understand some people found it difficult but then once you get over the initial learning hurdle you have a sense of achieving something.

I guess my biggest struggle on gunnery and one which I think I have passed in my own way, is the telescope on shift. Its a great thing to have but I just found I had too many other things to concentrate on initially and never really managed its use, I think I have got the range thing currently sorted  by just playing a lot, shift can wait until later.  I think single shot on space bar is good, while learning the spacebar is a big enough button not to miss. :)

I got to the level of Maurader just using the cutter and carronades.  I tried a Brig and moved to Snow.   That's how it was for me in the first few days.

• Like 5

Hello and welcome. 

Pirate is a good choice for a person who is searching for adventures and gives **** about National politics. True hardcore pvpers should always stick to this option. Pirates when organized can do a lot of damage and I am sure this is what being forged as we speak. I myself will be organizing an elite fighter force on Pirate side as well after game release.