Game-Labs Forum

FOG in the game

Aryaman

Hi

This project reminds me very much of Sid Meier´s Gettysburg, which is not a bad thing, as that game was fantastic at the time. 

However, with every wargame focusing on a single battle there is always a problem, everybody knows the starting positions and how the battle developed. This is more im portant in a battle like Gettysburg, a blind meeting engagement in which the players, unlike historical leaders, know what they are facing. So, how will you cope with that?

It would certainly add a strategic meta game to the experience. We all know how important deception is in warfare, and this feature would accommodate it quite well. It may actually be good to follow Total War on this one and introduce a line-of-sight system for units. I don't know if that is complex to code or strenuous to run on the given platforms that this game will be played on, but I reckon it's the most visually pleasing way of getting 'FOW' into the game. I personally don't like the idea of seeing a literal fog covering most of the field and obscuring the awesome graphics and scenery. Line-of-sight is tolerable, so long as units don't just 'pop' into existence after coming over a hill (a fade would be nicer).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...