Game-Labs Forum

Tech Tree

Niezer

I've not been able to find one for the life of me. Part of what makes it hard is that some techs seem to be date-locked while others aren't which makes mapping when each tech appears in a playthrough difficult. Plus the display of each tech line rearranges itself based on intended unlock order *after* you unlock techs, not showing the order you unlocked them in, so unless you're taking notes each turn it's impossible to know exactly how you got to where you are. 

I went ahead a loaded up my current German campaign, it's April 1925, and here's how the tech tree displays my current techs:

Light cruiser techs from 3500t->15000t (15000t unlocks the Light Cruiser V and Scout Cruiser hulls which I would classify as part of the modern cruiser group)
Modern Cruisers I (Unlocks Modern CL, Modern CA, and  Light Cruiser VI)
Heavy Cruiser techs from 4500t->18000t (the first Heavy Cruiser hull is unlocked at 16000t)
Battlecruiser Design
Advanced Battlecruiser I-V
Modern Battlecruiser

I guarantee you that is not the order they were unlocked in, though!

• Like 1

"When" is nigh on impossible to answer... the game bears no relationship with historical development, merely serving up stretched versions of obsolete hulls that get progressively heavier with no discernable increase in capabilities. When, is gonna depend on your GDP's ability to plough cash into your research. It's gonna depend on how stable things are for you, politically. It's gonna depend on how much priority you give to Cruiser development, rather than other equally critical systems...

I would identify the most modern techs you have (hull/tonnage for CLs), then go into the custom shipbuilder for your nation and walk through the years until they match what you have. Note that year. Then keep advancing until you see the hulls you want. Note that year as well. That should give you an idea of 1) how far ahead or behind of the idealized year your campaign tech is, which should let you figure out roughly how far out you are from the hull you're looking for.

On 9/3/2024 at 6:14 PM, Niezer said:

Does anyone have an up to date tech tree?  I'm playing as the Germans and am wondering when modern cruisers appear in the cruiser line.

Thanks.

What I usually do is start a dummy campaign on 1930 or 1940.  Then I go into the tech tree to highlight the researched techs, it should tell you what tech it was.  As an example, I know that once Heavy Cruisers start to get around the 17,500 ton mark, modern cruisers are not far away for the USA.