Game-Labs Forum

My 1900's Battleship with a 12 inch main belt just got penetrated by a TB's 4.4 Inch gun.

How is this possible? The TB's max pen is 6.8 inches at 1000m, it wasn't that close and I have +43% armour quality... What's the point in stats if 6.8 inches of pen can pen 17.2 inches of effective armour?

3 hours ago, DrBunhead said:

How is this possible? The TB's max pen is 6.8 inches at 1000m, it wasn't that close and I have +43% armour quality... What's the point in stats if 6.8 inches of pen can pen 17.2 inches of effective armour?

Was it a full pen (shell going through wall image) or a partial pen (cracked shield image)?

Did it destroy a torpedo? I've found that submerged torpedoes are extremely vulnerable to gunfire, and I've had numerous cases where circa 1900 even 2" guns will land "Torpedo Destroyed" hits on capital ships despite ostensibly these tubes being behind armor and under water.

I've also seen some curious heavy-hitting full/partial pens from medium-caliber guns against BB main belt at ranges/angles where it shouldn't even have a chance. Like, full pen from a 9" with 9.5" max pen vs a 14" belt at 5km/~30°. Maybe the armor quality readout is broken for early armors?

• Like 1

On 8/24/2024 at 4:03 PM, DrBunhead said:

How is this possible?

Short answer??  It's not.... Period.... It makes as much sense as a DD being able to bounce 16" AP rounds *just don't ask why the A.I. believes a DD NEEDS to be targeted with AP*. Hell, I could fill 16" shells with bananas, and they'd wreck a DD just with sheer mass alone, but, sadly, our intrepid dev's donno a freakin thing from physics...

Ticket the fault, take a deep breath and shake it off as best you can... Who knows, maybe some day we'll get the errors fixed... just don't hold your breath.

• Like 3

On the one hand, I've been thinking "naval gunnery is difficult and unintuitive to understand", but on the other... it should be pretty easy to plug into a computer game, right? People have known what different sizes of shell do to destroyers for well over 120 years now, in excruciating detail. 

• Like 1