Game-Labs Forum

How Hard Is it to Mod the Map?

Not sure what you want to make, but mod the provinces TextAsset element to change starting territories of whichever countries.

I did myself try to change some province properties as well, like seeing if I can make germany anschluss Austria from Austro-Hungary, and giving Soviet Russia baltic states, and making relations bit more historical too, so that Russia is not for some non-existent reason friends with Germany, all for 1940 start.

Failing miserably in every department except for the relations one, for reasons I cannot see, so go ahead, try your luck.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 5:44 AM, XerMGGW-2 said:

Not sure what you want to make, but mod the provinces TextAsset element to change starting territories of whichever countries.

FYI

Just doing a drive-by, I check in every month or so. Updated to 1.5.1.6.

Just tried changing the provinces TextAsset to swap UK and Ottomans for a 1890 and a 1920 start, no effect, either on game play, loading times or campaign generation times.

Tried deleting all data from the provinces TextAsset, no effect as above for a 1890 start.

I strongly suspect this, and quite a few other TextAssets are redundant. Probably leftovers from some earlier stage in the development process and are now just dead weight slowing things down.

On 6/14/2024 at 2:10 AM, PalaiologosTheGreat said:

I'm thinking of making a mod which makes a United Hispanic Empire. How hard would that be?

I have in the past had success swapping/changing countries/provinces by starting a game then immediately editing the save file. This can provide a lot of variation when starting a new campaign but clearly is not as desirable as being able to achieve the same or better result without requiring a save file edit. I did a post on this around about version 1.4 ish. It was prior to the Unofficial Mods thread so is probably in the general thread somewhere if interested.

I think I gave it a modding-for-idiots or modding-for simpletons tag (myself being the idiot/simpleton ;-} )

Edited by kjg000
remembered the tag (possibly)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2024 at 4:50 PM, kjg000 said:

I strongly suspect this, and quite a few other TextAssets are redundant. Probably leftovers from some earlier stage in the development process and are now just dead weight slowing things down.

I did not suspect this but it certainly seems to be true. Huh! Which other ones do you not see changes with?

Here are the assets that _are_ loaded (well, that doesn't mean they aren't replaced later, but...):

accuracies
aiAdmirals
aiPersonalities
battleTypeEx
battleTypes
canals
components
compTypes
crewTrainingLevels
events
governmentMod
guns
help
loadingScreens
missions
params
partCategories
partModels
parts
penetration
players
randParts
randPartsRefit
relationMatrix
shipNames
shipTypes
statEffects
stats
submarines
techEffects
techGroups
technologies
techTypes
tooltips
torpedoTubes

Anyway I'll make TAF load the map data after all.

hm. I've made changes in most of these text files, and it works fine. Provinces is "locked" to a certain degree. You can change most parameters, but not owner of provinces or them being Home or not (to my knowledge)

On 6/20/2024 at 4:50 PM, kjg000 said:

FYI

Just doing a drive-by, I check in every month or so. Updated to 1.5.1.6.

Just tried changing the provinces TextAsset to swap UK and Ottomans for a 1890 and a 1920 start, no effect, either on game play, loading times or campaign generation times.

Tried deleting all data from the provinces TextAsset, no effect as above for a 1890 start.

I have in the past had success swapping/changing countries/provinces by starting a game then immediately editing the save file. This can provide a lot of variation when starting a new campaign but clearly is not as desirable as being able to achieve the same or better result without requiring a save file edit. I did a post on this around about version 1.4 ish. It was prior to the Unofficial Mods thread so is probably in the general thread somewhere if interested.

I think I gave it a modding-for-idiots or modding-for simpletons tag (myself being the idiot/simpleton ;-} )

Yeah ok I added support to my mod (sig) for loading ports and provinces. Repositioning is ignored, as are the other map files (areas, routes, borders, etc), but you can change the _stats_ (and the names and controller players and whatever) for provinces, and the stats for ports.

You can't add ports, although if someone really wants to I can probably make that happen fairly easily, just needs more code to instantiate the gameobjects required.