Game-Labs Forum

Fire control makes turret armor heavier makes little sense

Fire control system increases turret weight, and turret armor weight is based on turret weight. This abstraction sounds good at first until you think why? Fire control system are mostly internal machineries, they do not make turret bigger. Anything exterior are unarmored. Only bigger turret makes equal armor weight more.

We arrive at an awkward situation where a ship with 16in main belt and 16in on turret, the turret armor weight more, despite much smaller surface than ship belt. This is because turret gets a lot of weight modifiers from loader system, barbette protection, to FCS. All these are internal machinery that should not affect armor weight.

Solution: make turret armor weight only scale to base turret weight, regardless of module modifiers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I thought perhaps it represented the better (more complete, not thicker) armour possible once director control reduced the openings in the turret face and roof for sighting arrangements and local rangefinders? 

Idk, I would have to read more on turret design. 

I think that as the game comes together, the devs ought to comb through it with a book on naval architecture and actually check all of these weights, measures, and other values against historical ships. 

Some turrets are modelled with rangefinders, but does the game differentiate between local and centralized control? Local and centralized range finding? Are there directors or is that just the name of a tech that boosts accuracy? etc. 

The game has come a fantastically long way, and I appreciate the greater attention paid to naval history as time goes on, but the architecture of the building system goes back to the very early betas in some cases. 

On 6/22/2024 at 5:35 PM, DougToss said:

I think that as the game comes together, the devs ought to comb through it with a book on naval architecture and actually check all of these weights, measures, and other values against historical ships. 

Some turrets are modelled with rangefinders, but does the game differentiate between local and centralized control? Local and centralized range finding? Are there directors or is that just the name of a tech that boosts accuracy? etc. 

The game has come a fantastically long way, and I appreciate the greater attention paid to naval history as time goes on, but the architecture of the building system goes back to the very early betas in some cases. 

It is very clear many of the mechanics are just placeholders, like radar increase weight based on tower weight (LOL). You can tell because when the devs do pay attention (like penetration table), it is much more detailed than that. Either they just don't care about some of the stuff, or one dev is highly competent (the one on pen table), and the other dev is extremely incompetent (working on other ship parts).

If I were to guess, the research involved in penetration tables is fairly straightforward - they already exist or can be produced using the many good calculators for naval gun ballistics and penetration. It's not trivial, but it's easy to convert to game terms, it's practically 1:1. 

Whereas, researching the the Barr and Stroud rangefinder, the various ones in service with other countries, how much their weighed, how they were installed etc. is more work, and harder to turn into a +3% weight modifier or whatever, it requires more research, and more evaluation of the research to convert to game terms. 

Having said that, there are volumes of books by and for naval architects on how much various systems weight, and ideally should weigh, where they should ideally be placed and so on.