Game-Labs Forum

The disastrous state of Spanish flags

Hi all,

I've adressed this issue in the feedback section a couple times, but I believe it may require a brief topic by its own. I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

(I'll focus on the early campaign (circa 1890-1920) since it's one of the periods that I've most played. I've not had the chance to encounter any issues during late campaign just yet).

The core of the problem

To begin with, in reality, the national flag of Spain until 1931 was this one (it was actually the naval ensign since 1785, but from 1843 onwards it became the Army & national flag):

bandera+isabel+ii.png

Current naval ensign in game and what the national flag should be

The current national flag the game uses for Spain is that of the Nationalists during the first months of the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), with it being the tricolor Republican flag with the purple stripe painted red (image below).

th?id=OIP.RF127aUHhjuhp_nehRCiTgHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

The flag in question

Of course, this makes no sense at all, since the flag wasn't concieved up until 1931. This flag is also lacking any monarchist symbology (since it employs a castle crown, instead of a royal one), which further makes it incompatible with the Spanish "Constitutional Monarchy" of the time.

Possible fixes and further issues

Well, the solution is quite obvious: simply replace the national flag, right? The problem I'd see with doing is is that all 3 flags displayed on the ship would be the same (since both the national flag and naval ensign were the same). I believe this could be solved in 2 ways:

1. Spain didn't really have a standard naval jack until 1945, so in my opinion no flag should be displayed at the bow of the ship. This could possibly be done with specific hull models.

2. Implementing naval jack system (for all nations), which I believe has already been suggested and I've mentioned some time back. In case this is even considered, the Spanish naval jack is commonly known as "Torrotito" (in use since 1945), shown in the image below:

Bandera de proa o Torrotito

Torrotito

If it's not possible to either remove the bow flag or implement the naval jack system, and thus all 3 flags being the same, is a price I'm willing to pay in order for this major inaccuracy to be fixed. I'm aware other countries also have inacuracies regarding their flags, and it affects game-immersion by a big chunk (at least for me). For example, I've read about the ridiculous situation of Democratic Germany displaying both the Bundesfalgge and Reichsflagge.

Anyway, that's all. This has been my first dedicated post so I hope it's been of some use and will help improve the game. Any feedback is appreciated!

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

This doesn't seem to have caught the attention from the developers, but either way, I've found another mistake, which is the Spanish State flag (1940 onwards).

Currently, its flag is a plain Spanish flag, just the national colors, which is wrong, at least for the state flag.

I'll try to keep it short, but basically, this should be the state flag:

Flag of Spain (1945–1977)

Flag of Spain (1945-1977)

There was another flag adopted between around 1938-1945, which only changes the heraldry a bit, but I think that's not important enough to include it (at least with the current state of the game).

The naval ensign would be the same flag, though it'd probably look bad since ships display flags in practically every mast and tower, for which I'd suggest getting rid of the naval ensign at least for warships entering in the 20th century, but that possibly won't happen.

Anyway, I hope you find this useful, thank you for your time.

• Like 1