Game-Labs Forum

Is it possible to make a "standalone" mod?

Hi!

I love this game and express great respect to the developers, but unfortunately, the game has one aspect in which it is still far from ideal — these are flags. The vast majority of them do not correspond to the historical realities of the game period. Unfortunately, it is simply impossible for me to make mods for these flags, because all the work goes down the drain literally in a day or two when the next hotfix comes out, because the only way I edit flags is to change the resource file, and it's inevitably changed with each new patch, so all ahistorical flags are back again and again. It's very frustrating to watch your many hours of work go to waste and you have to start over every time. This makes it almost impossible for me to enjoy the game. Tell me, is there an opportunity to make "standalone" mods that stand apart from all game files, which can be connected separately and not worry that they can be automatically changed every time a resource file is edited? Let's say a mod file that only affects flag textures and nothing else.

Thanks a lot in advance for the answer!

You can make mod installers with UABE, they only carry the changes you made and assign those when "installing" to the files. I did it once for a no obsolete hull mod. Should be somewhere in the general forum.

Currently not at home to go into further details on how to do it.

The advantage is that the download is just a few kb instead of the whole asset file. After a patch just rerun the installer and you are good again - as long the files haven't changed dramatically (new lines or content, etc).

Here is the link to the thread: 

Edited by Astor
  • Like 1