Game-Labs Forum

QOL Suggestions having played the various 1.09 betas

Pappystein

First I want to commend the design, production and internal testing team on this game.   Great work.  

I will start by saying I have many friends interested in the genre of game but they find the "buy in" in this case having to design ships themselves tedious.  And While I know the Auto-generator works...  sorta...   and that constant improvements are being made to said auto-generator... it is still lacking.   So hopeful these suggestions may have merit and grant an improvement to game play for those low threshold fans who don't know how a ship should be put together... as well as make the game a little more interesting (AKA not so cheaty on both sides of the isle)

1) Big ticket items (eg gun turrets) do not update to the "latest" standard during refit.   Your engine doesn't automatically upgrade and neither does your hull armor... so why do the guns?   This often leads to broken ships because the guns no longer fit.   Did the USS Wyoming and Texas get better 14" guns through their career (the answer is no, they were just slightly modified) 

2) Once Dreadnought Hulls are unlocked the Auto builder needs to stop trying to put 100 different caliber of guns on a ship.   In theory the game reduces the accuracy due to this... auto-builder needs that accuracy benefit!   Should be simple to code the auto-builder to find 1 Main and 2 secondary calibers for big ships.   and 2 main calibers for Destroyers

2A) what constitutes a main and a secondary weapon should change by class type (it mostly already does.) The one exception seems to be Destroyer TB Destroyers and Torpedo boats themselves.

3)  when you choose "Design your own" for campaign, you should have the option to purchase above your inital seed money for ships that are 25, 50, and 75% complete.  ALL obsolete hulls should be unlocked for this purpose.   Sometimes having the old hull is better at the start than a new one.   This is especially true if you are trying to make a historical fleet for your country and starting latter on.

4) Torpedo boats should still be existent in newer (old smaller DD form) hulls late career...  Likewise modern MAS/PT/Farmile type boats could be useful.  Likewise while few Allied torpedo boats had fire-control some other nations included fire-control systems on their Torpedo boats.

5) During Career/campaign creation.   allow the Player to design their fleet prior or preferably DURING the construction of the AI fleets.   The long wait as the auto-builder slowly builds the fleet through the years can be maddeningly mad... (yeah I said that!)  

6)  If possible have potential build guides for each of the major nations telling what tech is needed to be unlocked to build historical ships.   Having that baked into the game would be a benefit (as well as a "build this ship" function at a premium cost *IE the ship class costs more to procure but you get that "historically ideal" ship.