Game-Labs Forum

Since the big update hasn't been released, I have nothing to complain about...

Admiral Donuts

So, I will complain in general.

Since pretty much ALL of the dynamics of a campaign are about to change, I can only guess at what those complaints may be. I'm certainly very interested in Japan and the United States as well as Russia. But I'll essentially be reduced to noobie status along with many others in this forum.

I always hate that. I'll drop playing waiting for a major update, then suddenly I'll have no idea how to proceed. I've always maintained that, in stone, it should be written over the entrance to Full Sail - "Though shalt not make fundamental changes to an established game." But this isn't an established game, it's early access. So I'm not anxious about it.

Once released, though, it should be noted that doing such a thing interests positively, perhaps, a major portion of the existing player base. At least some, more than likely a major percentage of the player base will not react well to fundamental changes once gone live. And you lose customers. Nobody has ever gained subscriptions or sales by operating like this. A recent example of this is Star Wars: the Old Republic - where a great deal of their most recent major update were negative changes to game play with very little positive. Although I tried to warn them, players were deceiving themselves into thinking that being able to change their basic combat choices, for example change to Commando from Bounty Hunter while in a raid, the actual implementation was the player had to leave said raid zone before doing so. So that was zero help. Furthermore, they thought they would have lightsaber-wielding Bounty Hunters as another example and that just wasn't true. There was just nothing positive that came from it. Add to that so many bugs at release that it was simply not possible for a given 'feature' to function. Everything else was a reduction of abilities (nerfs), and the ability to achieve conquest points and so on and so forth.

This certainly did NOT fly with the community. The developer response to-date has been...ignore everybody's complaints. They essentially took a working, excellent MMORPG and widely nerfed it, calling it an expansion. A shame, because that game now resides as dusty hard drive space on my computer. And is now the 2nd Stars Wars license that I watched ruined by its own developers in the genre.

But, very shortly, I'll once again be a noobie. I'm looking forward to it, to see what you good folks have wrought. Good luck on a clean release!

Edited by Admiral Donuts
cleanup