Game-Labs Forum

Increasing Army size

scorehouse

You can finish the campaign with 1500 if you want, or go straight up to 2500 if you prefer. The AI will generally adapt to your size, so if you stay smaller they'll stay smaller and vice versa. This will be more noticeable on higher difficulties, but you can overpower them either way. Just tends to be different playstyles that get you there.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to prefer smaller units. 1k were doing well enough for me so I hadn't bothered increasing their size. With the artillery, the csa has trouble getting enough of the good cannon, so I use smaller units for a while until I have accumulated enough to expand to a larger size. While my army is still growing I would always prefer two 8 guns units to one 14 gun unit. Once I've maxed out at 4-5 corps then I'll increase beyond 8.

This is only one way to play though, very possible to go about this differently.

I focus on Artillery. immediately buying 20. 24's, Treds, Ords when first available and make it my mission goal to eliminate the enemies. Unless impossible because of protective enemy infantry, I start every battle trying to flank/sneak a Calvary/Skirm combo after artillery. I just wiped out every unit at Anteet by going around the left flank on the other side of the river and coming around the backside across then down using the road at the top and decimated his artillery. then later in the battle did the same via the bottom right corner attacking the units trying to cross the bridges. I destroyed every Union unit in the battle. Nuthin but Red Dots!!! left on the little map. oh and thanks for your help!! 

• Like 1

I meant I crossed at the bottom then went up the right side behind the hill then attacked him from behind while he was trying to cross the Stone Bridge? his army was now caught in between my units fighting at the bridge and the ones coming from his flanks.