Game-Labs Forum

Speed range for each decade?

Spitfire_97

What's a reasonable and historic speed bracket for ships in each decade? Since I hop around different eras I find it hard to judge what a reasonable battle line speed is for each decade, same with cruisers. The AI is hardly a benchmark either since their designs can vary in speed from drifting iceberg to fusion drive

For 1890 I try to make BBs around 17 knots, 16 if I have too but that's the slow end. CAs I aim for around 18 if possible. CLs I don't build over 20kts because I feel I have to skimp too much on armor to do so. TBs can be a larger range depending on how barebones they are, but 21-23, usually around 22, is where I make them.

From there obviously each era of shipbuilding will allow you to build faster designs, but you can use these as a base to think about.

in 1890 BB's went 15-16KN, 1900 BB's went at 17-19KN, 1910 BB's went 21-24KN, 1920 BB's went 21-25KN, 1930 same as 1920 thanks to holiday, 1940 BB's 25-33KN

Ideally a Armored/heavy Crusier should be 3KN quicker than your BB's, Protected/Light Crusisers should also be 3-5KN quicker than your BB's, and your TB's should be 1-2KN's faster than your crusiers. 

Edited by Candle_86