Game-Labs Forum

Core i7 11800H / RTX 3070 / 16GB Ram and poor FPS...

Sjet

Hi guys, wanted to ask if this is normal.  I understand the game is still in beta but I keep getting very poor fps when I get anywhere near large ships or ships on fire.  I have checked my CPU and GPU utilization and it is below 50% for both.  My specs are far above recommended.  Is there something I can do?  This is with AA, FXAA, and Anisotropic Filtering all completely off...  Thanks for the help!

I run the game on max settings on a much less powerful PC (i5 4690K/GTX 1660Ti) with very few issues. Only time I really see slowdown is when there is a very large number of ships & shells flying around. So sounds like you are having a genuine issue - I’d post your issue in the tech support forum :) 

On 11/7/2021 at 6:48 AM, Masonator said:

I find Unity particles just obliterate my computer for absolutely no reason, regardless of which game it's actually in.  This game definitely needs some optimisation, but I think it's primarily an engine issue.

It's an issue with any game engine, that's why many games rather than use an actual particle system use a 2d scrolling image to imitate particles in storms and such. Probably the most noticeable example of this is in Minecraft where while raining if you look up there's a box around you where no rain comes down. Older FPS games often use a series of 2d textures stacked on top of eachother for smoke grenade clouds and such. Particles are just a ton of work on any GPU.

As for this game in particular I haven't noticed lag almost ever but I also don't spend much time up close to my ships so perhaps that is why. Using a 3900x and 3080ti with 32gb 3600mhz ram in a well ventilated desktop.