Game-Labs Forum

How to use snipers?

Is there a guide for how to use snipers?  As a new player I have not used snipers before my current campaign.  I have given them the Sharps rifle (450 yd range) and put them behind the lines.  However, when I assign a target (within their range) they start moving toward it.  If I issue the 'Hold' command, the don't move but don't shoot.  What am I doing wrong?

• Like 1

I'm not sure there is a written guide, but there are several youtube campaigns that feature good sniper use if that is something you are interested in.

Some general tips:

1) Try to keep them hidden at all times. This prevents artillery or other units from targeting them and allows them to sit still and fire as fast as possible.

2) A good starting size is around 200-250 men. Max size unless using a mod is ~375. 

3) For the tier 2 perk selection you probably want the one that provides stealth and spotting. The stealth helps with point 1 and the spotting lets you find targets and avoid enemy units that might see you. For the tier 3 perk you probably want the one that provides the range bonus.

In the base game once you assign a target, the unit will move to fire at that target if the unit moves out of range or if your unit is blocked by terrain or another unit. This can lead to snipers walking forward directly into enemy units.

Hidden skirmishers will not fire at a unit when idle. A direct fire order is needed to override this.

I highly recommend using this mod which shows you the extra range on the t3 perk, and fixes the AI behavior listed above among many other quality of life and bug fixes. https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/25750-ui-and-ai-customizations-mod-v181/

Thanks for the quick response.  

"In the base game once you assign a target, the unit will move to fire at that target if the unit moves out of range or if your unit is blocked by terrain or another unit. This can lead to snipers walking forward directly into enemy units.

Hidden skirmishers will not fire at a unit when idle. A direct fire order is needed to override this."

This seems to explain the behavior I've noticed.