Game-Labs Forum

Battle of Richmond victory condition broken

establishmentarian

One of the victory conditions for the Union in the Battle of Richmond (campaign mode) is to cause 90%+ casualties in the Rebel force.  This condition is broken, as it references only Kills, not Captured, and not Shattered And Ran Away.

When I finished the mission, I had captured or shattered every unit from an opposing force of 44,000+ soldiers except for a single 250-soldier artillery unit I couldn't locate.  By any realistic measure, the Rebels had 250/44000+ soldiers remaining, which would be 99.5% Casualties and should have triggered the victory condition, but that victory condition was not met and I ended up winning only on holding territory instead.  The end of battle report showed I had achieved only about 22,000 Kills, so if Kills was the metric for the 90% Casualties criterion, I had only achieved 50% despite completely wiping out the enemy force.  If deserters from Shattered units don't count as casualties then it is likely impossible to achieve 90% casualties, though leaving no enemy units standing to oppose your forces really ought to count as meeting the intent of that victory condition.

A related gripe--this portion isn't really a bug--is that the end of battle report only counts Captured units as Missing.  From the standpoint of an army taking stock after a battle, every survivor who runs off in a shattered unit would be missing, and Surviving + Killed + Captured By The Enemy + Shattered And Deserted should equal the size of the starting force.  Missing, then, should be defined as Captured + Shattered.