Game-Labs Forum

Mixed Units

Dr Meat

Generals and Creators of UG,

In the real Civil War a great many units were composed of mixed arms. Read the detail at artillery at Gettysburg for example, there you will find it very common, and probably in the vast majority, to have artillery battalions composed of some parrots, some Napoleons and even a howitzer. This was on both sides. Just go to a web site and search for a list of the markers on the battlefield today that describe in detail what the artillery was composed of.

Even in the infantry, at the regimental level let alone the brigades, some unites were composed of a mix of smoothbore 69s and rifled 58s.

This could be reflected in a patch that would allow us to mix our batteries. Say in the case of artillery, our Parrots or Ordinance rifles would fire at their long range while our Napoleons and Field Howitzers stayed silent waiting to repel a counterattack. It seems to me it would not be a great technical challenge for the Gods of UG to patch this. I often have many cannon in the 'bank' so to speak that I cannot use because of mismatch of type.

Same could be said of muskets and rifles.