Game-Labs Forum

Anticlimactic Victory at Richmond

So I just finished the battle of Richmond on the Union Campaign on Brigadier General Difficulty and I got to say, this was way easier than I though it would be. I was expecting more of a resistance like on the Confederate Campaign when taking Washington. Even on Colonel Difficulty on the Confederate Campaign I had a bit of a difficulty taking Washington. While playing Richmond I noticed that most Confederate brigades had no more than 1500 units. Overall, since this was my first time finishing the game on the Union Campaign on BG I honestly felt like the confederates should've had more resistance but nevertheless I had fun. I guess it's time to try Major General Difficulty. On a side note Good Job on finishing the game. It was really fun playing through the game while there were many changes being made.

Screenshot (15).png

Screenshot (16).png

I found that storming the trenches against the clock of incoming reinforcements on the first day was fun and challenging. I took almost 30,000 casualties (and inflicted ~60, plus however many brigades broke).

The issue for me was that by the second day there were no more confederates! They had maybe 6000 men against my 110,000 or so.

Yeah I noticed that too. By day 2 there were some skirmishers with roughly 300 units. When taking the Forts I decided to wait for all my army. Once I had my army I used my 2 divisions (12 brigades) of shock cavalry and pretty much wiped out all remaining confederate troops.

It's kinda easy to deplete the enemy army during the campaign.  It would be nice if you would just be able to attack Richmond/Washington anytime the enemy army drops below a critical strength.  So for example if you completely trounce the rebels at Gaines Mill you get to go straight to Richmond from there.  After all, if the Union had won the seven day's battles that's what would have happened.  Then you could have a nice climactic battle against the remnants of the enemy army plus a bonus influx of emergency troops.

8 hours ago, mainiac said:

It's kinda easy to deplete the enemy army during the campaign.  It would be nice if you would just be able to attack Richmond/Washington anytime the enemy army drops below a critical strength.  So for example if you completely trounce the rebels at Gaines Mill you get to go straight to Richmond from there.  After all, if the Union had won the seven day's battles that's what would have happened.  Then you could have a nice climactic battle against the remnants of the enemy army plus a bonus influx of emergency troops.

Some would argue that if the road to Richmond was open, McClellan would not have taken it, but the "what if's" are in another thread. My bad.