Game-Labs Forum

Cold Harbor

CSX4451

Cold Harbor on BG Level

I hit em hard on day 1 ...... god knows I can use the recruits especially with a 4K loss but with a 20k+ recruits for the victory it will help out the manpower for the end stretch.

Will play another game not as aggressive to see how the other days play out but this certainly seems like a hard one for the CSA  if it goes beyond the initial battle.

Edited by CSX4451

I did the same. Like a good Confederate general, I saw the overwhelming odds and charged straight at Old Cold Harbour on the first day. My first attempt failed as I was unaware of the size and direction of the incoming reinforcements. I lost the point in the last few minutes of the day. 

Second attempt, I literally ordered every brigade to march straight onto the point going through the enemy. Sure a few routed, a couple got involved in a melee glitch that left 2000+ confederates dancing in a field with 600 yankees for about an hour, but I captured the point. I then distracted the reinforcing army with single brigade attacks on its left and right so that the brigades attacking the point over open ground were a lot thinner and easy to rout.

I'm not sure why the first day is so easy, whether it reflects the real event or if it's a balancing issue that will get tweaked later. Either way I'll probably go back in a couple of days and see what the battle is like if you leave the Union be for the first phase.

Ok anyone that played campaign union.  Are you having trouble holding old cold harbor on day 1 before your reinforcements show up?  You have 1 division to hold the area and I have not figured out the optimal configuration yet.  Most of the breastworks are not around the marker.  

You do get reinforcements but even having them run, they get to the battlefield at the end of the scenario so really are no help.