Game-Labs Forum

Effectiveness of weapons in melee

How is this calculated? I assume that muskets are better than rifles in melee because of buck and ball ammo, making them into shotguns at close range. Rifles do worse because it takes (or should take) more time to load a rifled musket than a smooth-bore musket, however if that is the rationale shouldn't breech-loading or magazine fed rifles be even better in melee, since they take less time to load and fire? Melee's weren't all hand-to-hand combat (I've seen estimates that as few as 1% of all CW wounds were caused by bayonets, for example), there was a lot of close range shooting, and I feel the weapon ratings should reflect that better. Thoughts?

There's a difference in the game between short range shots (two brigades next to each other and shooting) and hand-to-hand melee. Short range shots use the firearm statistics as usual; hand-to-hand melee is strictly melee stat of guns, damage, and the melee stat of the unit. As in nobody's shooting each other in the face until one side starts retreating (and gets shot in the back).