Game-Labs Forum

Out of officers

jimcarrel

I took a beating at the last side battle before 2nd Bull Run. I've lost about 5 officers ( I did attain victory though). I could replay but I would rather continue. Should I disband and rebuild and maybe get good officers. Or, just give up and replay?   

Being out of officers after side missions is really annoying. If you have space to create more brigades, it will create an officer with no experience. You can then disband the new unit and the officer will return to the barracks. If you can't create more brigades, then you'll need to disband a brigade, use up that first officer, and then use the aforementioned method of creating oficers out of thin air. This is really round-about, but is the loophole they installed so that people can't completely run out of officers and have to enter major battles with brigades missing commanders.

28 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

I took a beating at the last side battle before 2nd Bull Run. I've lost about 5 officers ( I did attain victory though). I could replay but I would rather continue. Should I disband and rebuild and maybe get good officers. Or, just give up and replay?   

IIRC if you disband you do get the recruits as veterans back if you rebuild, so you can do it that way to get the brigade back with a fresh officer. Or if you're scared of that (I would be), do what Wright suggested and just make a dummy brigade and keep disbanding it for the officer that way.

Either way this is why I generally recommend going min size so you never have this problem. I have more officers than I really know what to do with, I had to actually force myself to use higher ranked ones than are necessary to not get Command penalties/hit skill tiers just so they level up more.

Thanks for the replies, I see I have at least two options in lieu of doing replay.

edit* Okay I went thru my corps and I did end up disbanding 2 brigades in 3rd corp as a start and (I couldn't start a dummy brigade to begin with) went thru replacing missing leaders. By the time I finished, I had disbanded two overly large brigades and could finish out my 3rd corp. I can now run my Union 2nd Bull Run in the morning feeling okay.

• Like 1

Shouldn't they just add a generate officers button that replenishes your officer pool to a minimum number of lower tier unassigned officers accounting for both unhired and reserve? It would go very well with the disarm brigade button to make swapping weapons around easier too.

Too many round abouts in the gui right now.