Game-Labs Forum

Breastworks

william1993

I think breastworks should be changed.  You should just be able to put however many units you want behind them and gain the cover bonus.  I think it is not good to stretch a unit over the entirety of one fortification. for example at the Sunken Road at Antietam, in real life you could put as many brigades in the road as can fit.  In game, you can only put 1 brigade and then have to wait until they rout or you move them to put another one in.  That's unrealistic

Edited by william1993

I disagree, I think 1 brigade is more than enough to man a breastwork, however I think the size of the brigades needs to change. As it stands right now, 1000 men per brigade is way too small for a unit at the brigade level. Union and Confederate regiments both had a starting standard of 1,000 men per regiment at the start of the actual war. This would place brigades at 2,000 to 5,000 men at the beginning of the war.

Edited by Kevlarburrito

Please... try actually look a bit at the actual historical strength of the units during different battles.

As I already mentioned as replies to some of your other posts. The regiments was never at full strength.. by the time they saw combat they had already lost a lot of men to sickness and other issues.

At Gettysburg the average union regimental strength was just 375 men.

This really should be very basic knowledge...

And in the few cases where regiments was at 7-800 men.. then the game simply deploy them as a smaller "brigade" that is named for the regiment.
In the end it is just a name... some units are small brigades... others are big regiments. 

On 1/17/2017 at 1:21 AM, Kevlarburrito said:

I disagree, I think 1 brigade is more than enough to man a breastwork, however I think the size of the brigades needs to change. As it stands right now, 1000 men per brigade is way too small for a unit at the brigade level. Union and Confederate regiments both had a starting standard of 1,000 men per regiment at the start of the actual war. This would place brigades at 2,000 to 5,000 men at the beginning of the war.

Those manpower figures were on paper only in almost all cases.  Almost never happened in reality.