Game-Labs Forum

Rout mechanic

Commander_Rahl

Morale hits depend on how many casualties relative to unit size your unit is taking at any given moment. Since the AI generally has double size brigades compared to your brigades (as far as comparing non-sponge units with the AI units in general), that means you have to be dealing a lot more damage in the same period of the time for the same amount of morale damage.

If you watch the morale bar, you'll notice how the morale meter drops for a longer time as the squad is getting fired upon by a 3000 man (roughly) squad compared to a 1300 or 1400 one, for the same amount of cover bonus. Flanking and rear flank have their own multipliers with regards to how much morale damage you are doing.

Having a general near by increases the rate at which your unit regains morale, along with increasing the morale stat. However, this is still capped at morale 100, if your unit is already at morale 100.

My 2500 man brigade loses 100-200 men, and routs.   AI unit in same situation, takes 2-3 rounds of firing, looses 600-700 before routing.    I see this type of thing happen all the time.   I understand that there are morale modifiers.   It just seems the rules work differently for the AI units.   

Who is leading the squad? If it's less than a Brigadier for a 2500 squad, you're taking a hit in efficiency, which basically lowers all of your stats.

Also on hard mode, all of the statistics on the enemies are way higher than yours. Somewhere in the 50-60s minimum in every stat, even AI skirmishers have around 50-60 melee. You can see the stats by checking the detailed info on a captured unit.