Game-Labs Forum

Navigational ideas

I like the fact that lat & long is now displayed in the ingame map and that you get coordinates for your current position but I think this might be improved as follows:

- I would give a rough default coordinates in map as a wide circle area where your ship would be instead of exact coordinates. I think the system gives you now a too precise position in the map.

- I would introduce a regular upgrade called 'Navigational instruments' 'Clock and sextant' or something like that simulating higher quality navigational instrument such as sextant, clock, sun/stars/moon charts, charts, etc ... this upgrade would reduce the default circle diameter giving captains a better estimate on your actual position. This craftable upgrade would be crafted in a similar fashion to Pellew's sights (precise parts, etc ... )

- I would introduce an officer perk called 'Skilled navigator' or similar ... this perk would have a similar effect to the described upgrade improving further your lat&long coordinates

- On addition to all this I think bigger ships should give you a better estimate than smaller ones, to use a sextant in open seas you need a 'platform' that moves as little as possible and it was for sure easier in a 1st class than in a cutter. Ideally weather and state of the sea might have some impact.