Game-Labs Forum

Forming battle lines.

I keep having a problem where I can't form battle lines properly, making them overlap and sometimes forcing them to have to rearrange while under enemy fire.

It also doesn't help that different battalions are different sizes, making them line up shoulder to shoulder difficult.

Is there any suggestions as to tackle this problem?

I would suggest that grouping together units would make the unit act as one unit, so that they (battalions) would form proper battle lines without overlapping or cluster together.

When forming your lines depending on what size brigade you are moving. You would want to space your brigades 3-6 inches apart from one another. Also you should never deploy units into the same location as before unless your battle line is collapsing. Always extend your lines, force the enemy to follow you.If you press an attack and it begins to fail, fall back till you are no longer in contact with the enemy before you are at 0 morale and you retreat in panic. Then if possible swing your brigades to a different location force the enemy to follow you and launch your attack in a different location. If more than one enemy brigade is attacking a single brigade do not press forward. Fall Back conserve your strength. The enemy will usually press and follow you and it will drain them of Morale and you in turn will gain morale. One of your brigades can easily destroy multiple enemy brigades if you fall back and they press forward. Use your skirmishers on the flanks or to protect your cannons.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Using Ctrl+Right click you can form your group in a line. If a unit is small and you want to exclude it from the group, after having selected the group, Ctrl+Left click on the unit to exclude it. With the upcoming free line (lasso) for unit group selection, grouping of the desired units will be even easier.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how it will work, I don't think the 'lasso' group selection is going to help much when it comes to forcing a unit from the rear (or falling back from the front) to form a line with a unit that's already in place, and to me that's the biggest challenge.

I'd really like to see some kind of specific command for this, simply because a general wouldn't tell a brigade to "Go to such-and-such coordinates, and face X degrees." He'd say "Form on the left of the Iron Brigade!" (for example) and everyone would know what he was talking about.

• Like 2

Unless I'm misunderstanding how it will work, I don't think the 'lasso' group selection is going to help much when it comes to forcing a unit from the rear (or falling back from the front) to form a line with a unit that's already in place, and to me that's the biggest challenge.

I'd really like to see some kind of specific command for this, simply because a general wouldn't tell a brigade to "Go to such-and-such coordinates, and face X degrees." He'd say "Form on the left of the Iron Brigade!" (for example) and everyone would know what he was talking about.

Perhaps a sort of formation tool...

You lasso or select a group of units, and then draw the line like you would draw the path for single units currently.

So draw an S shaped line with your mouse and the units will form an s shaped firing line, you draw a C or a shallow crescent and the line infantry will fall into a C or shallow crescent firing line.

Draw an O with your mouse and watch as your line infantry draws the noose around your surrounded foes!

In this case, I think, you do not need a group formation, you just draw a path for the unit that is in the rear (or is falling back), next to the one you want to form a line with. Please note that with the drawing of the head of the arrow-path you can determine the facing of the unit in its final position. But if you worry about the spacing between the 2 units then you have to use group formation (Ctrl+left click on both units then Ctrl+right click and move the mouse right or left to form the line in the desired position).