Game-Labs Forum

Continuation of the free town discussion

As the discussion on free towns was getting off topic on the port battle set up page, I'm continuing it here.

My Thoughts

1) On ship deliveries

Right now, at Plymoth, I'm building a rattlesnake to hunt player traders (watch out) or ai traders if there are no players around. As the area around Plymoth seems to be the coal capital and there isn't much else around, I need to get my silver, hemp, and other supplies from somewhere else.

Should ship deliveries be allowed between free ports, yes unless they change it to make all resources available everywhere. I'm sorry but I do not have hours & hours to spend traveling the map looking for extra resources & so if I find a sweet spot for silver somewhere else, I'll get it there, take it to the nearest free port, and have it delivered to my shipyard at Plymoth.

2) On having shipyards at free ports

Yes, as tp'ing ships after attacking traders will soon be no longer an option.

3) On free ports & piracy

IMO, free ports should be the only ports pirates have. And I know many are against pirates making ships, but again, this is a game, a sandbox mmo, let them have shipyards there. As free ports should be their only ports they do not have the structures to farm resources like nationals, and so have to go, as smugglers, looking for their resources. More pirates sailing around for nationals to attack :)

I think if you take away anyone's ability to make ships, all that will achieve is more alts.

4) On free ports & dock space.

Should any ship be able to dock at free ports, yes. I come from POTBS where you can dock anywhere and think it would be cool to have this added to the game. You do not like enemy warships in your waters, form a group to patrol free ports! I think pirates are the biggest backers of having docks at free ports & we have La Tortue, Atwood, and the neutral capital Pitts Town right nearby. Again, this is a game, people do not have hours on end to sail the map.

If you are worried about the new conquest system & hostilities being raised at off hours, admin already posted that pbs will be at times players can meet up as hostility raised at off hours will be lowered at the enemy's off hours. If you are worried about Sweeden taking Spanish ports, for example, Sweeden is already allied with the Brits & so has allies nearby. When allies come into play, expect to see scattered colors on the map.

Edited by Anne Wildcat

Removing shipyards from the capital and freeports would mean a faction could be put in an unrecoverable position if it suffers heavy losses in strategic ports.  For example if you look at PVP2 Sweden, Spain and France would have been rendered effectively unplayable under this scheme.  In addition momentum shifts during a campaign would be far less likely as the loss of production would steadily give the winning faction an overwhelming attrition advantage.  

While the fortunes of war should have consequences, allowing factions to be functionally wiped out would not be conducive to a dynamic RVR environment nor a healthy player base.  This would especially impact new players who can have limited effect the outcome of RVR campaigns yet would find their progress effectively blocked.