Game-Labs Forum

So mission rewards. This mainly came about after doing numerous missions for my nation (Danish). Here's a situation from today:

Took two mission orders from Christensted, Second Lt and Premier Lt. I sail a Cerberus, and i'm still trying to get the hang of sailing a square rigged vessel. I've got gunnery down easy, except for demasting (which feels not worth it in mission orders, I used to board vessels before the capture changes...). My sailing however is still a bit rubbish so i do low mission orders against higher turning ships for practice. Anyway enough of my cowardice.

First mission, 2nd Lt order, 1 mercury. It takes me 20 minutes or so of some brilliant sailing (bot really liked camping my stern), and fierce broadsiding to get stern, bow, and port armor to zero, and starboard getting there. Eventually he sank after heavy damage and i got a nice 9.5k gold with 148xp, a reward for sinking him after a furious engagement. I felt satisfied with the reward. 

Second mission, Premier Lt order, 1 mercury. I do my usual, manage to out manuveur him right away when we meet for broadsides. Luckily he heels right as I fire my first broadside. 12 leaks, sank 2 minutes later. He barely had time to scratch my sides before sinking. Neat right? A quick kill. I've saved my men's lives and health, minimal damage to my ship reducing repair costs etc etc, truly I am a brilliant captain and my crew's exemplary performance in battle should warrant a reward fitting of the engagement.....1.3k gold reward and 17xp for sinking the same vessel as the first order.

This does not make sense, surely quick kills and saving your ship/repair costs would be what every captain would aim for right? Current reward system is based on damage. So because I didn't spend 20 minutes destroying every wooden plank on the second mercury I am penalised for (probably luck) amazing gunnery skills. This needs to be changed;

• Base XP and Gold reward on sinking/capturing a ship.
  • Bonus XP and Gold for actions (rather than just hull damage), such as demasting (rigging shock), crew shock, reload shock, module damage, and of course leaks.
  • Bonus for performance in battle, a multiplier can be scaled on the Base XP and Gold for sinking/capturing, for say sinking in a certain time limit (3 minutes into battle and sinking a ship? Jolly good show!), and how much damage you recieved.

This would offer a much more satisfying reward system, perhaps you could work loots into that somehow also, such as it being more favourable to get loot if you capture opposed to sinking. 

Thanks for reading.