Game-Labs Forum

Arranged Port Battles, fixed times

Having thought of port battles, I just thought

"How could port battles be more attractive for the casual gamer"?

Imagine, you have a job and kids, have a spare 2-3 hours per evening, might be more flexible on weekends,

how could you ever enjoy this game?

Well, having experienced "empty port battles" (including sailing there for 2 hours)

I decided never to do it again.

How could I be assure that there is a meaningful port battle (or other form of PvP') for me on a Saturday evening?

Log in every weekend, ("hey, clan leader, any port battles tonight?"...."Eh, no not tonight...maybe tomorrow,

but not sure...but we could do some PvP...or XP fleet")

One solution might be:

- players can qualify somehow for port battles (for instance, contests for regional capitals) by sinking AI fleets of the enemy, capturing traders or doing PvP

- some port battles are "announced", so it is for sure that there will be a port battle at that specific time and you might qualify or pay for a spot to be in there (not unrealistic, as big ship battles had been well known to happen days before)

- only the "best" might qualify to go in port battles for regional capitals, making it real PvP and this could be broadcasted, I´d really like to attend those broadcasts and watch my "nation" to fight for

The problem with "screening fleets", hmmm, I have no solution right now.

I think, intelligent game design could bring better gameplay then buying 4 flags at the same time, misleading the enemy

and then sheer numbers decide.

I believe, good gaming is also about the "quality of the players". I am not saying I am in it, guess I am too old for this.

But I´d like to watch it (thinking of the old Starcraft 1 tournaments) and then tell my boys later on what all went wrong..:)

I think, one could implement it for a certain amount of ports.

What do you think?

And please, don´t answer this question

(Imagine, you have a job and kids, have a spare 2-3 hours per evening, might be more flexible on weekends,

how could you ever enjoy this game?)

with

"don´t play this game then".

Edited by Wilson09
  • Like 1

The entire port battle system has to be revamped from the ground up. I suggest people think from scratch about how it should look. not just adjust the current system

Better UI and communication in game about what events and port battles are coming up.

longer lead times to the port battles. 

meaningful pvp and pve around the port  in order to trigger said port battle creates intense and valuable screening and open sea style conflicts  (then a timer counts down for the port battle start)

smaller/medium trigger events leading up to the main port battle in the 1- 2 -3 hours before it. (small ships, medium ships, 3rd rates)  -

qualification for a port battle attendance should be based on contribution to the zone in order to trigger the port battle. 

buying flags should be removed altogether

Edited by chappy
  • Like 1

Another idea I had:

- just think of arranged, important port battles for a regional capital or port being annouced to be taken by the attacker

1) the attacker might decide about the "weapon" selection, 25 vs. 25 (as always), but bring (next week?)

i) as high BR as possible (race to 25 Santissima?)

ii) limited BR

iii) diversified fleet

iv) ...

2) the attacker keeps the port for 1-2 weeks (any fixed time), as it was an important battle, creating a safe spot for

further expansion, outpost can be created, ships harboured, favouring the winner to expand further without fearing

to loose this spot for now

3) the defender (looser) might claim this port back by money (flag) after a certain time or meeting some requirements (PvP or PvE)

This clearly favours the outnumbered nations, whereas they can even hold ports and expand, even if they are few.

Also suits the casual players and might slow the "port battle mania" game down a bit. Also creates further incentives

for the good players to do some port battle training and increase their skills. Port battles are very likely to happen.

It counts more.

Quality matters, not quantity in player numbers or available real-life time or money (buying as many flags as possible).

Also, a few ports need to be "safe", that no 24h-mania can take them back.

Could result in more dynamic, strategic game play.

I believe, the 24h-possible port battle game will kill the community in the long run, as they can only

be won by numbers and time. Few high level players have mentioned that already....

P.S..:

Solution for "screening fleets", or "going there". Easy. When the requirements for the port battle to happen have been met,

(like, port has been taken normally before or/and something else...) the port battle just opens on time, when all players

logged into it at that certain time. log-in, join, fight, others watch...

P.S.2.:

I don´t need to take part, but I´d like to cheer my lads on watching a broadcast...

and drinking some beer.

Edited by Wilson09

I'm definitely in favor of 24-48 hour notice for port battles, so we can actually use that time to get logistics in place and actually have FIGHTS.

And a better system to join has to be put in place than the click faster than 25 other guys.  Unrest system from PotBS worked great.

So far the PotBS mechanics for PB's was far superior.  I cant ever recall going to an uncontested PB in PotBS, yet 9/10 PB's I've gone to in NA have been devoid of defenders.  When the Land Patch hits, it may improve slightly, but far better mechanics than 'blast x # of towers' needs to be in play.  Since we dont have Avatar combat like PotBS, perhaps we could employ the boarding mechanic for port ground attacks once you get in close enough.  Different captains combine or split their landing parties and decide how to attack the town.

Will the enemy port put resources into stopping your ships before they hit land or killing you once you've landed.  Do you fit your ships for naval combat or bring more marines/boarding parties to hit up the ground defenses?

Edited by Diggled