Game-Labs Forum

regional capital/ clan ownership

so I had a thought that regional capitals could allow clans/guilds to own them through the conquest system. the regional capitals would allow clans to collect taxes from the towns within that region. as well as allow the clan to build clan owned buildings such as a bank where items and gold can be stored. clan shipyards that allow clans to build ships using said items in thier bank. this may require a clan system revamp to allow a permission and ranking system in game.

these regional capitals would then become very valuable to clans to not only acquire but to hold and therefore create a greater pvp dynamic in the game.

thoughts?

Edited by zolfo

Needs more explanation. If...scenarios.

What if KOTO killed you ASAP knowing you own a regional capital? What do you loose?

Will clan members be favoured over the single player?

Why should it enhance PvP activity? Just think ot the nations (Spanish, British).

Spanish? Right now...

Relocations? Will it cost?

and so on....

Edited by Wilson09

Needs more explanation. If...scenarios.

What if KOTO killed you ASAP knowing you own a regional capital? What do you loose?

Will clan members be favoured over the single player?

Why should it enhance PvP activity? Just think ot the nations (Spanish, British).

Spanish? Right now...

Relocations? Will it cost?

and so on....

if another pirate clan wanted the port there should be an option to sell it to another clan of the same faction, with the pirates however there could be a clan vs. clan function for this however untill they fix the pvp mechanics with pirates this wont be a thing im sure.

clan over non clan should get a discount on items sold at the port, say 30%

it will enhance pvp in the way that the clan will diligently defend said port from other factions thus creating stronger borders and small pockets of war in the game itself. imagine a pirate clan taking a regional cap in the mexican area and attempting to hold it against repeated attacks from the spanish.

i dotn understand your relocation question and yes it would cost to buy the conquest flag (given current mechanics) and also cost the building to be built. i would suggest making the cost 3 or 5 times that of current building as most clans have no problem coming up with the funds needed.

clan over non clan should get a discount on items sold at the port, say 30%

i dotn understand your relocation question and yes it would cost to buy the conquest flag (given current mechanics) and also cost the building to be built. i would suggest making the cost 3 or 5 times that of current building as most clans have no problem coming up with the funds needed.

>>clan over non clan

I was referring to the TAX issue. Don´t force non-clan guys into clans as you benefit greatly being part of it. There should be mechanics

to allow players to be part of that Port and help, but also stay independent.

Relocating? I was referring to (clan to build clan owned buildings such as a bank where items and gold can be stored.

clan shipyards...). What happens if you loose a regional capital / clan capital to the enemy?

Just take the bank and shipyard and setup a new capital? There needs to be a severe penalty (= loose all?)  then...

Despite, I see the idea and it is good.

Edited by Wilson09

ya the relocation of things should be handled as it already is. meaning you lose access to all things in said port and maybe even potentially lose the buildings themselves as only 1 clan can have clan buildings there so the structures would be Razed to the ground. this would create a money sink and make it that much more important to hold the port.

for the tax idea its not that the clan gathers taxes from players but instead the port gains taxes from towns in the region and is the clan who ownes the regional capital also own the other ports in that region they gain taxes from those ports as things are bought or sold

Okay, got it.

But, as I said. TAXING, okay. Assuming I stay independent and know your clan and go on missions with the clan (or another clan),

but still want to be independet as a casual player with disadvantages (not being informed, no access to clan features) and advantages

(not being dragged into external and internal world politics, no pressure, less addictive...).

Where does the TAX go? Clan? Can never be the feature. Taxes needed to be distributed to ALL players "tied" to this PORT.

Thus, you need a feature, where players need to decide (if they want to benefit from the local taxation) where to set foot.

Like, "where do you want your home port to be located"? Relocating would cost, like switching outposts.

By this way, you could distribute players (later on) offering certain regions to locate by the ADMINS once a player starts a game

and set incentives to relocate to certain regions.

Also, clan-player or not, every player would feel "bound" to that region and certainly had more incentive to fight for.

Edited by Wilson09

well the taxes would go to the clan bank as i would imagin. as far as other non-clan players i would not expect them to benefit from the tax however maybe add a building that the clan and build/upgrade to create discounts for the shop for other non-clan players. there are several potential ways for "forward" the tax saving to others such as the forementioned discounts, and other ways the clan can produce good for said players.

Eve online had a tax feature that came only from a clans members and it was all well and good but easily abused and often became an main selling point when recruiting. its possible to do the same thing in this game if the idea of a port tax is not preffered. but some way to allow a clan to aquire more funds for use by the clan without begging its members for "donations" would be a must for this game as ships and upgrades can get very expensive especially when constantly fighting port battles and replacing ships.

for non-clan member incentives another function that could be implemented along with clans could be a sort of "bounty" board allowing other players to contract themselves with said clan to take part in port battles or by filling out buy and sell contracts. these bounties would pay the player upon success using money from the clans bank where their tax benefits are stored. this means the clan who pays other players the best may have the best defense fleets in order to stop the enemy from taking the port.

Taking the the "taxation" problem aside, focus first on the "regional capital" issue.

So, there is a clan/guild capital with some nice advantages...incentive to defend and

expand from there...

Just assume you are a Spanish sailor and take his role.

Or Swedish. Or any small nation...

How could regional capitals be of any use?

You owe 5-10 ports and there are 3-6 clans each?

From a Pirate perspective, yes...I see the point...but...

Edited by Wilson09

owning the regional capital provides the benefit for a clan to "advance" its strength. even a small clan can take a port and hold it to gain such benefits. in port battle ive seen as few as 10 players take a port, its not easy dont get me wrong but it is doable. i cant make any excuses for a smaller faction as no matter what there will always be one when it really comes down to it its all about what players and factions are willing to work together and benefit from said ports.

that aside the port conquest mechanic needs a huge overhaul but that a discussion for a separate post.