Game-Labs Forum

my observations/suggestions for v0.8 and beyond

Reisman17

Thanks for the great patch. My biggest observation is still relating to artillery. Are they better. Yes however still are not doing what I would consider correct outcomes. Here are some of the observations I observed to give you more specific examples. I sent my cavalry to attack a unit of guns. The guns were not facing my cavalry so I was able to get close and charge them. My cavalry made contact with the artillery and with 200 cavalry vs 70-80 artillery units I expected to see heavy casualties for the artillery crews and the unit rout and leave its guns behind. Instead it did not seem to have much effect at all. May have  caused the guns to fall back then to set up and start blasting my cavalry . This feels like it just is not right especially being the artillery were caught from behind/flanked so the effect to there morale should be severe and they certainly should not be able to fall back (with their guns) and be able to set up within seconds to start firing on enemies again. 

Following on from this behavior I also have some strange Infantry vs artillery issues. Again my squad containing approx 2,000 men was attacking a couple of artillery units. I would get close to the guns open fire and might kill a few (3-4) artillery crew members. I would then instruct my infantry to charge the guns (which I had no problem with). I would make contact with the  artillery and would kill a few more artillery crew members and might take out 1 out of 3 guns if I was lucky. I ended up having to smash into the artillery unit maybe 3-4 times before wiping out the artillery. Before this there would just keep falling back and trying to set up to fire. It just feels like the casualties are too small (2000 vs 80 should maul the smaller unit  badly) and second the morale should break immediately and they should rout. I understand if I was attacking with a unit of skirmishers (approx 200 men) but a full squad of 2000 men should have no problem taking out artillery if they are able to get close enough. Just to clarify that my full squad was not prior engaged in any fighting and was a fresh unit I managed to get behind enemy lines :-).

Flanking maneuvers just do not feel right yet. I think a unit that is able to flank or attack the enemy in the rear should cause a much higher morale loss even if the unit is bigger than the other 2 units attacking it. I feel that if you allow a unit to be attacked in the flanks or rear you should pay a heavy penalty and should be a major concern when forming your battle lines. I dont think flank attacks should do a whole lot of casualties however morale should take a major hit and there is a good chance the unit will retreat quickly to get out of this situation. Obviously it the unit has both front and rear units it should take double casualties and should rout pretty quickly towards the edge of the map. 

I think the names of units should be in different colors to show if the unit is rookie, regular or experienced (elite). Much easier to see instead to the stars up in the corner. 

One last bug I experienced to do with a Union cavalry that suddenly blanked out (e.g could not select it). It was not routed and  still had full strength. It stayed in the one spot for a while then circled around for a little bit all when under fire. Eventually got shot to pieces (from 200 down to 70) then routed. All this time I was try to select the flag but it would not select . First  time I have seen this happen in a game. 

Thats all I can think of right now. Need to play a few more battles to get more of a feel. Thanks for your hard work. The game is coming along great so far. Very impressed.