Game-Labs Forum

Entering Battle Instance Problem

Don Alfonso

Problem:

The issue I have been having since I started playing this morning is when joining battle instances - be it ongoing battles or 'admirality orders'. What occurs is that the majority of the time, when I click 'join/enter battle', it will sit in the "Entering combat..." scene for over 5 minutes and seemingly get stuck there. If I don't just Alt-F4 the game, it will eventually (taking up to 10 minutes) spawn me into the battle. However, I am not in my ship but the camera is placed at sea level, waves washing over and static. I cannot move the camera or click anything (sometimes I can see ships sail by in the distance). I would report this through F11 but when it occurs, I can't access the button and pressing F11 doesn't do anything. I end up just quitting the game through Alt-F4.

After restarting the game, going through the menu screens and all, it places me into the battle I had tried to join earlier. However, it sometimes does the same and spawns me in the water with no boat.

Why is it a problem?

It spawns me into my ship which has apparently been idling in the water while I had this issue. So, I'm usually down to half hull and taking on water by the time I can successfully join the battle and start moving around/shooting.

It is also problematic because I have to go and restart the game for anything to work again etc.

What should developers do to fix the problem?

I'm not qualified in game development to even start to suggest something. However, I have assumed that it may be connection related as I live in Australia. All the servers are 250+ ms at all times I've been on.

Could you please send crash reports and run connection test report in Steam Launcher (the 3-rd and 4-th options). Also, what is your character name?

My character's name is Don Alfonso.

I conducted the connection tests for the servers I played on;

PVP EU One (Report #NAS-125975) & PVP USA Two (Report #NAS-125982)

The third button sends me to a screen where I can report a bug, I filled it in with the topic name of this thread and with the link to this thread in the description;

It is Report #NAS-125986

Wow, I just loaded Naval Action this morning and am experiencing the exact same problem.  I'm on PvP Two USA, character Juan Itzagena.

If it is a new issue, I wouldn't be surprised - I couldn't find any mention of a similar problem on the forums or on google.

I did a bit of messing around with settings and managed to work it out so I can actually enter battle without a problem.  In fact, I was able to increase my graphics settings to medium and tweak a couple things down like shadows and still pull a better frame rate.  I am running this on a laptop with an AMD 8790M, if you have an Radeon you can try and see if it helps also.

1. Open AMD Catalyst Control Center
  2. Click Gaming then 3D Application Settings
  3. If you see an application that is something like Steam:29000 delete it.
  4. Now click Add and locate Client.exe (mine was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Naval Action) and click open.
  5. Now click Client.exe in the application list. And change your settings to be the following:
  • Anti-Aliasing Mode: Use application settings
  • Anti-Aliasing Samples: Use application  settings
  • Filter: Edge-detect
  • Anti-Aliasing Method: Adaptive multisampling
  • Morphological Filtering: On (Direct3D application only)
  • Anisotopic Filtering Mode: Use application settings
  • Anisotopic Filtering Level: Use application settings
  • Texture Filtering Quality: Standard
  • Surface Format Optimization: On
  • Wait for Vertical Refresh: Off, unless application specifies
  • OpenGL Triple Buffering: On
  • Tessellation Mode: AMD optimized
  • Maximum Tesselation Level: AMD optimized

That's it, click save.  Worked for me and hope it may help someone else who has this problem.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I have an NVidia. Also, I have my settings on Ultra.

~

Update;

As far as I can tell, when I'm with a friend in a group on a low-population server, the problem doesn't occur as often.

Edited by Don Alfonso

Apologies for the double post;

However, this is still an issue and I keep losing the occasional vessel in these battles I can't connect to. It is starting to become very impairing...

Is there any update on fixing this or some work-around?

Apologies for the double post;

However, this is still an issue and I keep losing the occasional vessel in these battles I can't connect to. It is starting to become very impairing...

Is there any update on fixing this or some work-around?

There had been posted a workaround for the close issue like this, a bit different tho, but it is:

A possible solution i discovered is setting all your ingame settings to minimum, including your resolution down to 640. then closing down any programs or apps you have running in the background, like everything apart from antivirus and steam, no matter how little power these programs consume. After a restart, the game usually works fine after ive done this, and spawned into open world. settings can go back to ultra and it should work fine for the remainder of the session.

Could you try it for a while?

I have actually tried that before, closing all programs and trying to enter a battle - still fails to 'enter combat' as frequently.

Captain, there might be some changes in settings on the server side in the future but they require careful execution since they might ruin other people's connection and it is impossible to apply it locally to your account only. High ping could also be a cause to the issue. Sorry for inconvenience, Captain

P.S.: I know this is not a solution at all, but perhaps, you could switch to US servers for a while to test if the issue is about high ping?

Oh I was planning to, and I have been on the US server today... problem is that the issue persists there as well. I don't feel it's a ping issue - I also tried after a restart of the computer, running only Steam and the game. That hasn't solved or helped at all.

I have a friend in Australia with a worse internet speed and more connection issues in other games - he has never experienced this. Nor have my other Australian friends had the issue.

Okay, an update on the issue...

When I'm at university, using wifi (their internet is overall better than mine as they are a government establishment), I have not had a single issue 'entering battle'.

• The connection report is the following: #NAS15800

When I'm at home (alone), using ethernet or wifi (regular internet speed, half that of university wifi), I have the occasional issue (more often when watching a video online or in a Skype call).

• The connection report is the following: #NAS158304

When I'm at home (with family using internet too), I always have the issue of 'entering battle'.

• The connection report is the following: #NAS158448

Hopefully with these reports you can figure out the problem better - or at least steps I may be able to take myself to over-ride the issue.

I personally do not believe it is a matter of bandwidth, because I have a friend of mine with severely inferior internet bandwidth to my own...

However, here are the results of the university wifi;

6991b6be991527e41d29a71d1274f581.png

And then, these are the results of my home ethernet;

24806a1dc6e34f2499a733a5db741e9b.png

Here are results of a couple of my friends, both without my issue;

33b64c9314af0415f1b102e3d1c15c0b.png

or 

5d00896f562317270151bc9d4efb801a.png

From these multiple speedtests, there doesn't seem to be any difference between my bandwidth and that of my friend - which shows that the speed of download or upload isn't causing my issue. This friend of mine is constantly downloading through torrents, and shares his place with another gamer (who is also playing and downloading simultaneously).

Edited by Don Alfonso

• 2 weeks later...

I still think that the fact you have the issue when there is another heavy traffic consuming program runs in background indicate the bandwidth/packet loss/high ping issue. Also, you have mentioned your friend - does he play Naval Action without any issue while using torrents and stuff like that or you meant games in general? I ask it since he might play on Aus or NZ servers with a low ping and the issue might not be there due to it.

By the way, have you tried to tune quality of service (QoS) settings in the router?

My friend plays Naval Action, every day, while torrenting and streaming videos. 

My other friend with the 10 times worse internet connection also plays Naval Action, and has never had this problem. Instead, he experiences ping issues... but that's something he can deal with.

I'm still having issues after tuning QoS on the router.

I repeat that it cannot be running a heavy traffic consuming program which is causing the issue - especially since I can play with the university's internet, I never have the problem, no matter how many hundreds are connected to it, no matter what I'm running on the computer.

• 2 weeks later...

After re-installing the game, and maybe the newest update, I haven't had this issue yet. That said, it has only been 3 battles.

UPDATE: Now has been enough battles to clearly say that the issue no longer occurs!

Edited by Don Alfonso
  • Like 1