Game-Labs Forum

AI Troop Pool

Major Grigg

I'm sure this has been said, but giving the AI a pool a troops that I can deplete every battle is freaking awesome. I'm playing on BG as the CSA, and it makes battle like Antietam not so hard. Went it with about 78k troops against a 66k troop Army of the Potomac. They left with 31k casualties to my 14K. It was awesome. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Major Grigg said:

I'm sure this has been said, but giving the AI a pool a troops that I can deplete every battle is freaking awesome. I'm playing on BG as the CSA, and it makes battle like Antietam not so hard. Went it with about 78k troops against a 66k troop Army of the Potomac. They left with 31k casualties to my 14K. It was awesome. 

It's also an awesome measure of the progress you're achieving against the Union. I feel much more in control of my campaign and my general skills versus my earlier BG CSA campaign. I went in with 67K troops against 84K Army of Potomac. They left with a lot of hurt. 47K casualties to my 20K.

On the other hand... the AI's also gotten more... cautious in my Fredericksburg battle. Which is good, buuuuut concerning to me :P

7 hours ago, vren55 said:

... On the other hand... the AI's also gotten more... cautious in my Fredericksburg battle. Which is good, buuuuut concerning to me :P

That said, I have only played Fredericksburg once, and as CSA. What I saw as federal AI was crazy. 

The actual attack on Mayers Heights was done in waves one division at a time while the balance of the Union forces sat out of range in the town. It would be nice to see that style of operation by the AI. 

12 hours ago, vren55 said:

It's also an awesome measure of the progress you're achieving against the Union. I feel much more in control of my campaign and my general skills versus my earlier BG CSA campaign. I went in with 67K troops against 84K Army of Potomac. They left with a lot of hurt. 47K casualties to my 20K.

On the other hand... the AI's also gotten more... cautious in my Fredericksburg battle. Which is good, buuuuut concerning to me :P

I agree they are getting cautious, and especially cautious in the minor engagements. At times, they don't even attack and there is less than 1k casualties combined for both sides. This is great for me because I get troops out of the deal, but so do they. Very interesting. 

4 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

That said, I have only played Fredericksburg once, and as CSA. What I saw as federal AI was crazy. 

The actual attack on Mayers Heights was done in waves one division at a time while the balance of the Union forces sat out of range in the town. It would be nice to see that style of operation by the AI. 

I agree that would be nice. I mentioned something about this an a post I created called "Grand Union Victory". I would like to see something where the actual battle was played out by AI. This could be used as a teaching tool.