Game-Labs Forum

HMS Victory firing broadside

Edward Pellew

Less cool, once you noticed how faked it is. I mean, sure, they'd probably risk damaging the ship if they actually tried to fire one of those cannons (nevermind a whole side of them), I get that. But smoke launchers clamped on the ends of the cannon barrels combined with more launchers out of sight in the dock framework (to make the smoke cloud thicker) seems a little cheesy, if you ask me. Plus, the smoke coming from the launchers in the dock framework is unrealistic and isn't simulating anything; it's just there to make things look cooler. Plus, they didn't even bother with the lowest gun deck.

eh/10. 

Less cool, once you noticed how faked it is. I mean, sure, they'd probably risk damaging the ship if they actually tried to fire one of those cannons (nevermind a whole side of them), I get that. But smoke launchers clamped on the ends of the cannon barrels combined with more launchers out of sight in the dock framework (to make the smoke cloud thicker) seems a little cheesy, if you ask me. Plus, the smoke coming from the launchers in the dock framework is unrealistic and isn't simulating anything; it's just there to make things look cooler. Plus, they didn't even bother with the lowest gun deck.

eh/10. 

Due to Victory's deteriorating condition and the fact that she's not supported as she would be afloat, she can't even carry her cannons.  The vast majority of them are either wooden or fiberglass non-firing reproductions (a few are still real).  So, given all of that, this is pretty darn cool.  The whole broadside was for effect, so there's no reason they shouldn't add smoke to simulate the lower guns.