Game-Labs Forum

Min Range Coastal MineLayers/Hunters/ASW Vessels

I'm tired of my ASW and mine pickets getting roped into engagements they should realisticly never have sought and taking unncessary attrition because they're usually my older slower vessels.  Just don't understand exactly how to make the op range and mission focus selection mechanics work like I want (if it's even possible at all)

Question 1:  Is a "minimum cost" vessel like a 850ton DD equipped with Mines, Sweeper Gear, and ASW but configured for minimum op range and Defense mission focus to avoid actual battles effective AT ALL in ASW patrolling/cleaning/mining the adjacent sea zone?

Question 2:  Is there a better op range setting and mission focus (Sea Control?) combination configuration to do this?

Edited by GDFKTT

if my experience is anything to go by, you're wasting time thinking mine fields will be effective. In my current campaign, I've over 40 old CL's deployed at choke points specifically to set mine fields. More than half of them haven't set anything, they just sit in port ignoring anything passing by. Of the few that are apparently laying mines, the AI fleets cruise through them with impunity as if there was nothing there.

The only part of your Q1 that works is setting ships in port to Defense means they won't be dragged all over the place on dumb "Missions"

• Like 1

So it sounds like almost definitely I'm wasting my time and resources keeping old cheap hulls around, even when outfitting them with upgraded mines and asw kits. THANKS!

• 4 weeks later...